Oats in a jar blow me away…and so does the wind

02/10/2010

Brrrrr! It’s cold and WINDY today! The kind of cold wind that cuts right through you to the bone. It’s the kind of wind that makes you unintentionally swerve on the road while driving. Don’t fret though – I made it home to blog over lunch and let the puppa out of her crate room. (Rob and I refer to her crate as her “room”…we just like telling our dog, “Go to your room!” It’s good practice for children. :) )

Sorry for not posting yesterday; this little bloggie wasn’t feeling well. But I’m back at it today. And I was so excited to wake up to overnight oats in a jar!DSC_0873

If you’re new to overnight oats, it works like this:

• 1/3 c. dry old-fashioned oats
  • 1/3 c. greek yogurt
  • 1/3 c. milk (or you can use all milk instead of half yogurt)

Stir it up and stick it in the fridge at night and wake up to creamy goodness. I usually eat it cold when I make it this way. Try it; you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

If you are new to oats in a jar, it works like this:

• Buy delicious real peanut butter. (We don’t do Jif or Skippy or whatever else pretends to be peanut butter.)
  • Eat the peanut butter by the spoonful at a breakneck pace in moderation like a normal person would.
  • When you have a nearly empty jar in about a week, ahem, I mean, month, you have three options. (1) Give it to your dog to finish off. (2) Prepare your normal warm oats and then stuff it in the jar. (3) Prepare your overnight oats right in the nearly empty jar.

With option 1, you’ll have a very happy doggy. With options 2 and 3, you’ll have a very happy mouth as your spoon finds peanut butter surprises. I’ll leave the choice up to you. Remember how we talked about making good choices? I think you’ll do the right thing. Which, obviously, is to do option 2 or 3, but lie about it and tell everyone you fed it to your dog.

And if you’re a normal food blogger, you’ve probably stopped reading about now to go get a spoonful of peanut butter. I didn’t. Of course not.

Anyway, my overnight oats also ended up with some cinnamon, ground flaxseed, and half of a sliced banana that is finally ripe nearly 2 weeks after I brought it home from Costco.

I’ve got to run drive blow back to work, but tune in later for a story about a little Valentine’s Day tradition I look forward to every year.

Question for you: What’s your favorite oatmeal mix-in?

Technorati Tags: ,

{ 6 trackbacks }

Oats in a Jar | LIFT weights. SAVOR food. LOVE life.
04/12/2011 at 2:05 pm
Last Week’s Food Highlights « The Accountability Theory
05/02/2011 at 3:48 pm
Umm…Yum! | Peanut Butter Paws
05/12/2011 at 7:14 am
Oats in a jar « The Musing Bouche
10/19/2011 at 6:40 am
Jumping On-board | Cue Your Life
10/19/2011 at 9:21 am
It’s October! « Much Ado About Nothing
01/10/2012 at 2:08 pm

1 Sarah Ikegami 02/10/2010 at 7:31 pm

Mmm, love oats in a PB jar! Pumpkin is one of my faves in oats (in the fall)…right now I’m loving hemp protein powder in my oats…and bananas (goes without saying, right?).

2 Teri 02/10/2010 at 7:35 pm

I tried pumpkin once and didn’t really enjoy it. Any tips? Because I seem to be the only one who isn’t obsessed!

3 Heather (Heather's Dish) 02/10/2010 at 7:56 pm

i adore pumpkin puree in my oats…sooooo good! i’d love to try cottage cheese soon though :)

i’m not the biggest fan of oats in a jar OR overnight oats! :( I feel so weird…but my puppies do love when I finish a jar and give it to them :)

4 Teri 02/10/2010 at 8:02 pm

I want to try cottage cheese too. There are just so many options!

Ya know, I didn’t like overnight oats at first either, but now I really like them. With the right add-ins, of course. What’s oatmeal without add-ins?? Why don’t you like oats in a jar? Is it because your spoon isn’t long enough? Because that’s my problem. :)

5 Jess 02/10/2010 at 8:17 pm

It is super cold and windy here today too – BRRRR! I want flip flop weather!

Peanut Butter – no question! I am obsessed with oats in a jar : ) I also think that it is hilarious when I get looks at the office because it looks like I am eating a jar of peanut butter for breakfast. No one has said anything yet, but I know what they are thinking!

I have not tried overnight oats yet but I read about them ALL OVER the blog world. I think I may need to give them a try.

6 Teri 02/10/2010 at 8:23 pm

Amen to flip flop weather!!

Hahaha – I used to keep a jar of peanut butter at my desk too. People must think we’re crazy.

Let me know when you try the overnight oats – it seems to be a love ‘em or hate ‘em thing.

7 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] 02/10/2010 at 8:44 pm

Oatmeal – the breakfast of champions…I mean food bloggies : ) I tried adding nut butters, but I’m not a fan. I love fresh blueberries + walnuts, or banana + cinnamon, or raw almonds + pear — so many possibilities!

- Hillary [don't miss my giveaway!]

8 Teri 02/10/2010 at 8:48 pm

oooh, I’ve never tried the almond + pear combo!

9 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine 02/10/2010 at 8:49 pm

I love OIAJ! It’s my motivation to eat several servings of nut butter a day (yeah right, like I need a reason). I’ve yet to try overnight oats, though- I’m a bad blogger, I know!

I love nut butters and banana in my oatmeal :)

10 Teri 02/10/2010 at 8:58 pm

I’m so glad you use the acronym OIAJ too! :)

11 Jessica 02/10/2010 at 8:57 pm

Ugh, the weather’s nasty in Texas, too. My favorite add-ins are usually bananas, some flax seed, dried cranberries. I tossed in some strawberries today. Nomtown.

12 Teri 02/10/2010 at 8:58 pm

oooh yeah…cranberries are awesome in oatmeal!

13 Emily 02/10/2010 at 9:02 pm

I’m pretty sure I’m the only bloggie who has yet to try OIAJ……I know it’s sad and pathetic!! I’m on it soon, promise! NC and TN must be sharing the same winds today becuase it is blow-you-off-the-road crazy here too!!

And to the comment above mine, know any ideas where I can find dried cranberries that aren’t sweetened?!?!?!

14 Teri 02/10/2010 at 9:04 pm

Nah, plenty of bloggies haven’t tried OIAJ.

I second that question – I can only find sweetened ones too.

15 Emily 02/10/2010 at 9:02 pm

Oh and glad you’re feeling better today! :)

16 Teri 02/10/2010 at 9:03 pm

Thanks. :)

17 Tyler Ramey 02/10/2010 at 9:31 pm

I think between my Almond Butter, and 3 different kinds of PB…I am always finding an excuse to make overnight oats, or oats in general with a dab (or nineteen) of nut butter!! My favorite mix-in with oatmeal has got to be pumpkin. Nothing like warm oatmeal with pumpkin…it’s like liquid pumpkin pie!!!!

I absolutely adore your blog, and so does Emily!!! We are so excited to be on your blogroll!!! :-D

18 Teri 02/10/2010 at 9:32 pm

You two are so fun! I love that your both bloggers and friends in “real life.” I want food blogger friends too! ;)

Well thank you for your sweet words! It means a lot to me! Glad you’re OK with me sticking you up there. :)

And seriously, I need pumpkin oat help. Why don’t I like it??

19 Tyler Ramey 02/11/2010 at 4:11 am

I think people either love or hate pumpkin flavor…and no in betweens!!! Shouldn’t have to force it! LOL Try drowning it in cinnamon and adding a banana? Thats one of my favorite pumpkin-oat-methods!!!

And I totally think we need a blog meet up! Emily and I are already talking about it!!!! We <3 you!!!

20 Teri 02/11/2010 at 4:44 am

Ok, I’ll give it one more try. I’ll be honest, I only tried it once.

And I would LOVE a blog meet up!! Let’s definitely do it! Maybe in March once the weather improves?

21 Madeline - Greens and Jeans 02/10/2010 at 9:34 pm

I put a lot of different things in my oats, but I ALWAYS put in banana! It never fails me!

22 Teri 02/10/2010 at 9:43 pm

Do you slice up your banana or mash it? I used to always slice it, but I’ve found mashed-up banana is awesome in oatmeal too. Extra creamy.

23 Jayna 02/10/2010 at 9:51 pm

Teri,

I’m lovin this new blog and all your tips! It’s time for me to stop resting on the whole I just had triplets excuse and start working out and eating healthy. The food thing is a big obstacle but you’ve inspired me to start trying some of this crazy stuff. The question is, where are the best places to shop for it here in Utah? No Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods that I’m aware of.

24 Teri 02/10/2010 at 9:55 pm

Jayna, I’m so happy you are following along and enjoying it! Although, triplets would be a good enough excuse for me for a loooong time. :)

There are a couple of Whole Foods up in SL County. Try Good Earth Nautral Foods; I know they have locations in Provo, Orem, and American Fork. I know there is one in Provo. It’s like a mini Whole Foods. http://www.goodearthnaturalfoods.com/ And You should be able to find quinoa and flax at a regular grocery store these days.

Anything specific you are trying to find?

25 Alta 02/10/2010 at 9:53 pm

That sounds like an awesome idea. I love putting peanut butter (or even better, almond butter) in my smoothies, so why not in oatmeal? Yum!

26 Teri 02/10/2010 at 9:56 pm

Mmm…I haven’t had peanut butter or almond butter in my smoothies for a long time! Now I’m craving it! As soon as I get another ripe banana… :)

27 Ashley 02/10/2010 at 10:34 pm

I would say my most FAVORITE mix-in is peanut butter. If I had plain oats and only 1 option that would definitely be it! I think the nut butter helps to not feel the need to sweeten the oats…at least for me! I love your options + I have never chosen option 1…also, I go through pnut butter at a ridiculous rate.

28 Teri 02/10/2010 at 11:01 pm

I agree…if I had to pick just one and only one, it would definitely be peanut butter. It does make sweeteners unnecessary – good point!

29 Rachel @ Shedding It 02/11/2010 at 2:30 am

I am way too hungry right now to be reading about my fave food! Ahh! I think my fave add-ins are almond butter, dried dates, and butterscotch chips! (Like a half tbsp!) The dates are sweet and chewy and butterscotch, well…damn.

30 Teri 02/11/2010 at 3:05 am

Dried dates? That sounds awesome. I’ll definitely try that. But I won’t lie to you – I hate butterscotch chips. Can we still be friends? ;)

31 Erin @ Erin Eats and Exercises 02/11/2010 at 3:07 pm

Oats in my jar are my favorite! I make my roommates save their almost empty jars for me : )

32 Teri 02/11/2010 at 3:25 pm

haha! That’s awesome.

33 Ingrid 08/24/2010 at 2:17 pm

Oatmeal and cranberries sounds great! I have yet to try it!

34 Alyssa 01/04/2011 at 8:21 pm

so would I add 2/3 cup of milk to the oats? if i do not use any yogurt.

35 Teri 01/04/2011 at 8:43 pm

yep!

36 Angie 02/02/2011 at 8:29 pm

Ok here’s a chocolate peanut butter oat-extravaganza!
1/3 cup oats
1/3 cup coconut milk
Added almond milk as needed for desired consistency
1teaspoon chia seeds
1scoop amazing grass greens chocolate infusion
2tbsp carob powder
Mix well, microwave 2-2.5 minutes and stir it up
Stir in 1 tbsp natural PB
Top with carob chips and unsweetened coconut
This is chocolaty-peanutty deliciouness!!!!!