A Mortar and a Pestle and Presto! Pesto

06/08/2010

This is a LOT of basil. 10 cups to be precise. What do you do with 10 cups of basil. Make pesto. Duh.

DSC_0882

Perfected Pesto

• 2 c. basil
  • 1/2 c. olive oil
  • 1/4 clove of garlic (or to taste)
  • 3 T. toasted pine nuts
  • 2 T. grated Parmesan
  • 2 T. grated Romano
  • pinch of coarse salt
  • pinch of freshly ground pepper
Easy directions

1. Stick it all in a food processor and blend. Devour how you wish.

However, for the ultimate experience, use a mortar and pestle. They are actually pretty cheap to obtain. The flavors come out better with a mortar and pestle. Really, they do.

Mortar & Pestle Instructions

The order that you mix it in is important. So pay attention!

1. Grind the salt, pepper, and garlic in a mortar and pestle.
  2. Add basil to mortar and grind away with the pestle.
  3. Drive your significant other crazy with the pounding and grinding noise.
  4. Slowly add most of the olive oil. Add a little, grind. Add a little more, and grind some more.
  5. Add cheeses and grind.
  6. Add more olive oil and grind.
  7. Add pine nuts and any remaining olive oil and grind to desired consistency.
  8. If you’re not going to use all of your pesto at once, scoop it into ice cube trays and freeze. Once solid, pop them out and put them in a ziplock bag.

DSC_0893

Enjoy with bread, on a sandwich, in an omelet, with pasta, with a spoon, whatever. :)

What’s your favorite way to use pesto?

1 Jacquie 06/08/2010 at 9:17 pm

I like it drizzled on a vegetable soup or in a salad with lemon juice and fresh tomatoes.

mmm… now I want to go make some…

2 Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches 06/08/2010 at 9:20 pm

On a turkey sandwich! It adds soooo much flavor.
Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches´s last blog post ..Track Laps And Chocolate Catharsis

3 christina 06/08/2010 at 9:54 pm

i just started eating pesto. i had it on a baguette with turkey, cheese, and sunddried tomato. so delish! i need to make my own.
christina´s last blog post ..Gnu Foods Flavor & Fiber Bar Reviews!

4 Lisa 06/08/2010 at 10:02 pm

Ooooo my. Fresh Pesto. My favorite thing. I like it pretty simple–pasta, in pizza. Yum.

5 legalstyle 06/08/2010 at 10:08 pm

I love homemade pesto! It’s on my summer to-do list, for sure. (But I wish I had a significant other who loved gardening!) (Or I wish I had a place to have a garden!)
legalstyle´s last blog post ..day one

6 Ashley 06/08/2010 at 11:49 pm

LOL loooove it!!!! I made it once with mortar and pestle..but this recipe is probably much better! How’s your house smelling? ;)
Ashley´s last blog post ..Cleveland bound!

7 Jessica @ How Sweet 06/09/2010 at 5:45 am

I love pesto but have never made it with my mortar and pestle! I don’t know if I’d have the patience. :)
Jessica @ How Sweet´s last blog post ..Maple-Glazed Salmon Salad with Warm Honey Vinaigrette.

8 Lauren 06/09/2010 at 5:53 am

A man with a good pesto…..every woman’s dream! :)
Lauren´s last blog post ..Cleveland Weekend Part 2, Party for the Princesses

9 Angela @ A Healthy Fit 06/09/2010 at 6:17 am

I love pesto. We grew some basil last year, but we don’t really have a good garden spot. Damn apartment. We do compost!!! Composting is the greatest thing. More people should do it and there would be way less trash filling up landfills.
Angela @ A Healthy Fit´s last blog post ..Check out my goodies!

10 Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries 06/09/2010 at 6:40 am

Haha I like Rob’s life goal!
My favorite way to have pesto is probably just to put it in pasta. You really can’t go wrong with that, especially if you throw some cherry tomatoes in there too!
Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries´s last blog post ..dear bandwagon, don’t leave without me

11 andi 06/09/2010 at 6:50 am

yummmm. our favorites are: crusty baguette with fresh mozzarella, pesto, and a basil leaf (you know, for good measure) or sandwiches with a simple roasted chicken (salt, pepper, olive oil) shredded, shmear of pesto and the aforementioned mozz. our garden definitely is basil heavy too. it’s marvelous. :)
andi´s last blog post ..group exercise musings.

12 Teri 06/09/2010 at 6:52 am

So funny that you wrote the extra basil leaf. I made that same sandwich yesterday, but with goat cheese because I didn’t have mozzarella. And Rob made fun of me for putting on an extra basil leaf! But I like that extra kick! :)

13 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman 06/09/2010 at 7:24 am

This is great–I’ve never made my own pesto, so I could use a recipe. We’re growing basil, too, and it’s almost like a bush now. I think this will be a good way to eat a bunch of it.

14 Nichole 06/09/2010 at 8:39 am

I haven’t been brave enough to attempt homemade pesto but I love it in scrambled eggs and we use it on pizza instead of tomato sauce.

You really can’t go wrong with good pesto, bread and cheese. Nice work!
Nichole´s last blog post ..Pilates & Pedaling – Weekend Rewind

15 Lauren @ Health on the Run 06/09/2010 at 9:05 am

It’s so awesome that you’ve built your garden from scratch. And a husband who has perfected a pesto recipe — definitely a keeper!! ;)

I love pesto on most things — especially salads, sandwiches, and pasta. It also makes a great pizza sauce for regular pizza or (my favorite) naan pizza. I wish I had an entire garden of basil because it’s usually so dang expensive. Also, I don’t have a mortal and pestle. I didn’t really think about the fact that the flavors would be different if you make pesto this way, but that makes sense. If/when I ever invest in one, I’ll definitely come back to these instructions!
Lauren @ Health on the Run´s last blog post ..A Quick {Bread} Post

16 Jennifer @ shesafitchick 06/09/2010 at 9:27 am

Yumm, thanks for sharing! My BF will love this (he loves pesto). I love pesto on panini’s. I love the flavor with melted cheese on hot bread.. yumm!
Jennifer @ shesafitchick´s last blog post ..Complex Carbs: Not so complex.

17 Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble 06/09/2010 at 12:33 pm

Mmmm… I love pesto! I like it on sandwiches and crackers and pasta and just about everything.

Just a tip, I heard you should freeze the pesto without adding cheese. Something about the cheese keeping it from not freezing as well and then add the cheese when you’re ready to use.
Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble´s last blog post ..Veggie Lover

18 Teri 06/09/2010 at 10:31 pm

That is good to know! I always think the cheese looks so weird when it’s frozen anyway. Thanks!

19 Emily 06/09/2010 at 2:09 pm

OMGosh – you have to try the Pesto Chicken and Grape Pizza recipe I found in Cooking Light – it’s ah-mazing.

20 Alycia @ Fit n Fresh 06/09/2010 at 2:45 pm

So crazy – I’ve totally been craving pesto and scouring the internet for some new recipes! I just got some homemade pasta that I think would perfectly complement some pesto and I’m definitely gonna give yours a whirl! Or a grind, in this case (:

Other things that pesto is amazing on = egg sandwiches, english muffins with cheese, pizza and bruschetta!

21 Monique@She's Going The Distance 06/09/2010 at 3:29 pm

Ohhhh I love pesto and have always wanted to make my own!! I found your blog through the many other food/fitness blogs and it’s ADORABLE :)
Monique@She’s Going The Distance´s last blog post ..What do you do at work??

22 highonhealthy 06/09/2010 at 6:49 pm

This is going to be hard to believe but.. I have never had pesto before. Ever. Is it possible to make a pesto without cheese? What in the world would I use it for/with?

23 Teri 06/09/2010 at 10:30 pm

WHAT??? That is terrible. It’s amazing. And yes, you could totally leave out the cheese! Most of the flavor comes from the garlic and basil anyway. Read all the comments for suggestions – sandwiches, pasta, pizza, anything!

24 Alex @ IEatAsphalt 06/09/2010 at 8:33 pm

Pesto is great on roasted potatoes. It also makes a great topping on veggie mush (essentially whatever you’ve got fried up in butter + rice). My cousin makes an obscene amount of pesto to sell at market in the summer but the entire farm smells so amazing from all the basil.
Alex @ IEatAsphalt´s last blog post ..(Better than Martha’s) Blueberry Banana Muffins

25 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter 06/10/2010 at 12:46 am

Putting pesto on top of bread is fantastic!

I love pesto in my veggie sandwiches, omelettes and pretty much anywhere.
Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter´s last blog post ..Foodie Journal

26 Lia 06/10/2010 at 7:18 am

Yum! Try it on a fried egg sandwich. Or pasta of course. Or pizza. :)
Lia´s last blog post ..Summer chopped salad

27 Miranda @ Mirandasjeans 06/10/2010 at 8:24 am

I love using Pesto as a maranade. It’s great on chicken and tofu. I imagine it would be equally as good on some salmon or any fish. It’s also Faboo on sandwiches…. Mmmmm pesto! :-D
Miranda @ Mirandasjeans´s last blog post ..Holy Guacamole

28 Teri 06/10/2010 at 8:37 am

great idea to use it with tofu! I didn’t think of that!

29 Claire 06/11/2010 at 4:08 am

My boyf has been obsessed with his herbs recently…so we have sooooo much basil to use. I think some pesto is in order for tomorrow so thanks for the recipe lady!
Claire´s last blog post ..two bits of bad news = two delicious breakfasts

30 Teri 06/11/2010 at 1:45 pm

I hope you like it!

31 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) 06/14/2010 at 3:53 am

Yay, pesto! I love it. Especially on gnocchi, which is a top 5 food for me. The only bad thing is how it seems to stay stuck in my teeth and on my breath for about two entire days after…

32 Carissa 06/16/2010 at 11:53 pm

I adore homemade pesto. Thanks to your husband for revealing the family secret. I’ll have to give it a whirl.. :)