Beet Salad with Blue Cheese, Walnuts & Mint

06/30/2010

I loved reading about your fitness routines and your little tweaks. Y’all are a bunch of healthy folks! But I kind of knew that already. :)

Speaking of fitness routines, my body is telling me to make today a rest day so I’m going to listen. Which means, after I’m done blogging, I’ve got about 1.5 hours to enjoy before bed time! Whatever shall I do? Hmmm….

When Rob and I went to Virginia last weekend, we also stopped at a produce stand on the side of the road and I picked up some local beets. Ever since then, I’ve been wanting to make a beet salad similar to one I had in Philadelphia last Thanksgiving. Problem was, I couldn’t remember a thing that was in it.

So, I made up my own salad with things I have on hand (including some things I have in major abundance) and I loved it!

DSC_0878

Beet Salad with Blue Cheese, Walnuts & Mint

Serves 2

• 2 beets
  • 2 T blue cheese
  • 2 T walnuts, toasted and chopped
  • 2 t olive oil
  • 2 t white wine vinegar (or whatever vinegar you have on hand)
  • 1 T chopped mint, plus extra to garnish
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Scrub your beats under running water, place on a baking sheet, and roast for 20-25 minutes. You want them to be just slightly cooked – soft enough to pierce with a fork but not totally tender.
  3. Let beets sit until cool enough to handle, then remove skins. You may have to cut the skins off.
  4. Spiralize your beets or just dice, thinly slice, grate, whatever you feel like. [I tried to spiralize mine but I had some technical difficulties so I had a sliced/spiral combo.]
  5. Add remaining ingredients to your beets, toss well and enjoy!

Nutrition Stats per serving [calculated using CalorieCount.com]: 141 calories, 11.6 g fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 6 mg cholesterol, 1.5 g fiber, 4.5 g protein

Are you a fan of blue cheese? I used to hate it, but now I’m a grown up huge fan. Such a little amount adds so much flavor!

1 Jessica @ How Sweet 06/30/2010 at 6:40 pm

I love, love, love blue cheese! I also didn’t like it growing up, but am obsessed with it now.
Jessica @ How Sweet´s last blog post ..Fitness Kick Start- Start Your Morning Off Right

2 Lauren 06/30/2010 at 6:50 pm

Fresh beets just taste so much better than canned! Too bad they are kind of a pain to prepare, but so worth it! I love them in my salad.
Lauren´s last blog post ..The End of the Beginning

3 Alex @ IEatAsphalt 06/30/2010 at 8:07 pm

I had a beet salad tonight for dinner with goat cheese and a balsamic reduction. It was to die for. I’m pretty sure that golden beets are my favorite vegetable. Ever.
Alex @ IEatAsphalt´s last blog post ..“You should have taken a picture of THIS-”

4 Katie 06/30/2010 at 8:09 pm

Mmm beets. I could eat them forever. That salad is BEAUTIFUL!! I love blue cheese, but it makes my tummy hurt – sad day.
Katie´s last blog post ..I have a lot of red dishes

5 Lisa @ I'm an Okie 06/30/2010 at 8:24 pm

I am NOT a fan of blue cheese but your salad looks straight out of a fancy restaurant! :)
Lisa @ I’m an Okie´s last blog post ..Rebelling Against My Former “Truths”

6 Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches 06/30/2010 at 9:10 pm

I used to hate blue cheese as well….but now, it’s one of my favorite cheese! It has such a distinct taste, and I find it delicious! It certainly isn’t something I can down in large quantities though (unlike most cheeses…sigh….I’m a cheese monster). A little blue cheese goes a LONG way.
Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches´s last blog post ..Stop And Smell The Roses

7 Tina 06/30/2010 at 9:31 pm

I like blue cheese, but not too strong. Its no goat cheese, but it certainly has its place. I am going to try to recreate the beet salad that I had the blogger dinner-I can’t stop thinking about it! Yours looks So delicious!
Tina´s last blog post ..Turkish Lentils -amp Chickpeas

8 Monique@She's Going The Distance 06/30/2010 at 10:29 pm

I don’t know why, but I can’t get myself to like beets yet. Maybe I’ll try it again :)
Monique@She’s Going The Distance´s last blog post ..How I’m staying cool

9 Alexa@Running the Road to Recovery 07/01/2010 at 1:33 am

I don’t think I’ve given beets a chance in a few years! I’m putting this on my recipe to-do list…

10 Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries 07/01/2010 at 6:05 am

I love, love, love bleu cheese. But I loathe beets. I just can’t get into them. Beets and parsnips = YUCK! Haha. Funny how everyone’s tastes are different. Isn’t it?

11 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman 07/01/2010 at 7:23 am

This salad looks great. I love blue cheese, and I love beets. I had a great salad with some arugula, salt-roasted beets, goat cheese, crushed pistachios, and ruby red grapefruit. I’ve made it since and it’s so good.
Tracey @ I’m Not Superhuman´s last blog post ..You’re Not Fat- You’re Huge

12 Bekah 07/01/2010 at 7:46 am

Beautiful looking salad. I do heart blue cheese but I have a hard time cooking beets. I do like them, but mine never come out as good as when someone else makes them, bummer.
Bekah´s last blog post ..eating well is running well

13 Nichole 07/01/2010 at 8:20 am

I’m not a fan of beets, but maybe I need to give them another go. Blue Cheese is good with me as long as it’s in small doses on a salad or drizzled on chips, but it is certainly an acquired taste. Walnuts in a salad are the perfect crunch!
Nichole´s last blog post ..Form Fit

14 Jennifer @ shesafitchick 07/01/2010 at 9:23 am

You are brilliant. That’s all!! :)
Jennifer @ shesafitchick´s last blog post ..Superfood Special- Artichokes

15 Katie Heddleston 07/01/2010 at 11:53 am

Man, I really wish I liked beets! I think they look beautiful but I think the beets texture coupled with the taste makes me double-ly not like them. Anyway, the recipe looks great and my dad grows beets in his garden and eats/cooks them many different ways so I DO feel like I’m missing out!
Katie Heddleston´s last blog post ..Tofoodles

16 Lisa 07/01/2010 at 11:58 am

I like blue cheese in small doses. I’m more of a goat cheese fiend though!
Lisa´s last blog post ..Historic Hood River Dinner

17 Allie 07/01/2010 at 1:32 pm

Yum!!! I loooove blue cheese and oddly have since I was little. The stinkier the better :)
Allie´s last blog post ..Happy July 1st-

18 Kristie 07/01/2010 at 5:19 pm

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever tried blue cheese. I’m a little weary but I’ll try (almost…) anything once! I can see it pairing really well with beets for some reason though, the salad looks fab!
Kristie´s last blog post ..Canada D-Eh

19 Ashley 07/02/2010 at 11:08 am

I haaaate blue cheese!!! Not sure if that one will ever grow on me! The salad looks delish though! I could sub out the blue for goat :)
Ashley´s last blog post ..saucy goodness