Speaking of fitness routines, my body is telling me to make today a rest day so I’m going to listen. Which means, after I’m done blogging, I’ve got about 1.5 hours to enjoy before bed time! Whatever shall I do? Hmmm….
When Rob and I went to Virginia last weekend, we also stopped at a produce stand on the side of the road and I picked up some local beets. Ever since then, I’ve been wanting to make a beet salad similar to one I had in Philadelphia last Thanksgiving. Problem was, I couldn’t remember a thing that was in it.
So, I made up my own salad with things I have on hand (including some things I have in major abundance) and I loved it!
Beet Salad with Blue Cheese, Walnuts & Mint
- 2 beets
- 2 T blue cheese
- 2 T walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 2 t olive oil
- 2 t white wine vinegar (or whatever vinegar you have on hand)
- 1 T chopped mint, plus extra to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Scrub your beats under running water, place on a baking sheet, and roast for 20-25 minutes. You want them to be just slightly cooked – soft enough to pierce with a fork but not totally tender.
- Let beets sit until cool enough to handle, then remove skins. You may have to cut the skins off.
- Spiralize your beets or just dice, thinly slice, grate, whatever you feel like. [I tried to spiralize mine but I had some technical difficulties so I had a sliced/spiral combo.]
- Add remaining ingredients to your beets, toss well and enjoy!
Nutrition Stats per serving [calculated using CalorieCount.com]: 141 calories, 11.6 g fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 6 mg cholesterol, 1.5 g fiber, 4.5 g protein
Are you a fan of blue cheese? I used to hate it, but now I’m a grown up huge fan. Such a little amount adds so much flavor!Tweet