Healthified Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

It’s officially fall: I’ve made pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. And healthy ones, to boot. My friend Shardae is a fabulous baker and when she gave this healthy recipe her seal of approval, I knew they would be delicious and taste anything but healthy.

DSC_1209

Healthy Pumpkin Cookies That Don’t Taste Healthy

RECIPE
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. milk
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Combine pumpkin, sugar, applesauce, egg and vanilla and mix well (we’ll call this the WET mixture)
  3. Combine by whisking: flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt in a separate bowl (aka DRY mixture)
  4. Dissolve baking soda in milk, then add to WET mixture
  5. Gradually add DRY mixture to WET and mix until just combined
  6. Fold in chocolate chips
  7. Grease cookie sheet and use an ice cream scoop to measure out
  8. Bake for 10-12 minutes until they no longer look wet
  9. Let sit on pan for 2 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool

*note: Shar’s recipe didn’t call for nutmeg or cloves. But I’m obsessed with those spices so I added them. Feel free to leave them out.

*Once you put these in a tupperware, they get kind of sticky. So, I make them in small batches (refrigerating the leftover dough) and just leave them out until they are eaten. Smile

DSC_1212-1

Make pumpkin cookies. Eat. Enjoy. Be happy. Maizey approves this message.

Do you have something you bake that officially signals fall to you? Pumpkin cookies and pumpkin bread are my must-bakes before it’s really fall for me. Smile

{ 10 trackbacks }

Healthified Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies « Class and Creation
at
Mmmmm…tastes like fall « bagofsharpobjects
at
Really Healthy: Pumpkin Treats I The Magazine of Yoga
at
gluten free vegan pumpkin chocolate cupcakes
at
Healthy Fall Cookie and Pasta Recipes | sarahthefitfoodie
at
Bring on the PUMPKIN | California Endless Summer
at

1 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun at

I’m making pumpkin choc chip cookies for our small group this Wednesday. I’ve seen them all over blog world and can’t wait to have some myself.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun´s last blog post ..fun at the fair &amp eating hypocrisy

2 Lauren at

Mmm, pumpkin cookies are the best fall treat!
Lauren´s last blog post ..Hartford Weekend Away

3 Heather (Heather's Dish) at

it’s all about the pumpkin for me too! you had me at “doesn’t taste healthy” :)

4 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston at

Pumpkin means falls here too! I made pumpkin chocolate chip muffins this past weekend (again, hehe).
Katie @ Healthy Heddleston´s last blog post ..Friday Fondue

5 Jennifer at

Best fall treat ever! Thanks for sharing! :) xoxo

6 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) at

I love pumpkin in anything: muffins, cookies, oats, pie. . . okay, mostly just in sweet things. ;)
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate)´s last blog post ..Monday Morning’s Moose Sightings

7 Katie at

Oooo these look so good! Anything pumpkin screams fall to me – I’m going to have to make these asap.
Katie´s last blog post ..Bring Your Parents to Work Day

8 BroccoliHut at

Yum! These look like little clouds of heaven!
BroccoliHut´s last blog post ..Paid to Shop

9 Teri at

clouds of heaven! I love it!

10 Andrea at

Thank you for posting this recipe! I have been searching for a healthy pumpkin cookie/bar recipe. This fits the bill!
Andrea´s last blog post ..Dessert in a Hurry- Chewy Cinnamon Raisin Puff Bars

11 Claire at

Um, can I have one? Good thing I have the two key ingredients = Pumpkin + Chocolate Chips = heaven….

12 Teri at

they’d be easy to veganize too!

13 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman at

Oh yum. The chocolate chips looked like raisins at first, but I’m glad to see they’re chocolate. I love that combo.

14 Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle at

Pumpkin is definitely the #1 sign that it’s fall! But close behind is gingerbread, I will be making some of that tonight!
Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle´s last blog post ..Weekend Recap

15 Nichole at

My pumpkin cookies last year were a total fail, cannot wait to try again with a recipe like this.

Anything pumpkin rocks my socks. Pumpkin bread and apple orchards, fave time of year!

16 Krysten at

Oh yummy those look amazing!

Pumpkin and apple pies always signify fall for me!

17 Rachel at

Those cookies look delightful! I’m happy they remind you of fall :)

So many people seem into pumpkin these days that I can’t even think of anything else that is fall-reminiscent!
Rachel´s last blog post ..Let’s go ride a bike!

18 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] at

Oh, yes… fall can’t go by without a batch or two… or three of pumpkin muffins.
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]´s last blog post ..Time to Taper

19 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather at

Pumpkin for sure but I think baking in general is very fall-ish to me. When the weather gets cooler I crave comforting foods and that definitely includes naked goodies.
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather´s last blog post ..Smacked with cinnamon snickerdoodle cookies

20 Liz @ Blog is the New Black at

Ok, not big on pumpkin but these look way too good!

21 Shannon at

how about pumpkin cinnamon rolls :) hehe, these look great! might need to get my bake on this weekend…
Shannon´s last blog post ..Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

22 Andrea at

Couldn’t wait to try this and mine are hot out of the oven! I am a bit surprised at their cake-like consistency – I think I’d prefer them as muffins instead, but the flavors are spot on (definitely did the nutmeg and cloves – a MUST!) and they’re a good (healthier) treat.

23 Teri at

I should have mentioned their cake-like consistency. That’s how I’ve always had pumpkin cookies and prefer them that way, but I know some people might not like that for a cookie!

They would make awesome muffins! I think I need to try that!

24 Melanie Big at

Wow! Those cookies make me hungry. Better try this one as soon as possible since Halloween is near I should practice making it to make it perfect. Thanks for sharing this healthy recipe of yours.

25 Melani Schoenhut at

Chocolate cookies are always my favorite but I never tried to bake my own cookies. Maybe it is the time for me to bake mine. LOL. Thanks for this easy and simple recipe of yours.

26 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner at

Pumpkin Cookies — the best ever!! The more and more I explore your blog, the deeper and deeper my adoration for it becomes!!!
Kathleen @ Kat’s Health Corner´s last blog post ..Absolutely Dreamy Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls

27 Teri at

oh yay! I’m so glad you are enjoying it! thank you!

28 janetha @ meals and moves at

making these nowwww
janetha @ meals and moves´s last blog post ..steezy

29 Teri at

I hope you liked them!!!

30 Heather McCarthy at

Delicious! I was looking for something just like this and Google led me to your recipe. I messed with it a bit (didn’t add any sugar, used pumpkin pie filling cause that’s all I could get (grrrr) and used applesauce with sugar. I added about a quarter up of wheat bran to the dry ingredients and a little extra pumpkin to make up for hte missing sugar. I still added extra cloves.nutmeg (like you, I like them.) Used broken up 70 percent lindt dark chocolate car instead of chips… and wow!! I will also try your exact recipe when I have the right things…but it worked for me. Thanks for helping me make healthy and tasty food.

31 Meg at

Lovely feel-good fall weekend here in Maine. Had been craving some homeade goodies. Made this recipe and I would have to admit…. BEST pumpkin chocolate chip cookies EVER ! !

32 Teri at

yay!! I’m so glad you liked them! Thanks for letting me know!

33 Kristy at

I made these cookies on the weekend and my kids loved them and I did not feel any guilt because they were healthy. I doubled the batch, added a cup of oatmeal and 3 cups WW flour and a little less sugar and they turned out great. Thanks for the great recipe.

34 Julia at

These were really good, but definitely more of a muffin texture than a cookie.

35 Alyssa at

I made these last week and brought them to a Thanksgiving Potluck- they got RAVE reviews. They’re incredibly easy to prepare, and even easier to consume (sans guilt).
Thank you! I’m making more today… this time they’re staying home just for us :)

36 Jill at

These were AMAZING! In my experience the healthy baking recipes can be a little hit or miss in terms of texture, but these were awesome! I added a little ginger to the recipe and they came out the perfect combination of sweet and savory! yumm!

37 Tammy at

I was surprised by these…sooooooooo yummy and my kids(teenagers) cant get enough.

TY TY TY

38 Cara O'Sullivan at

This reciepe looks great. I tried it this evening and have two questions:

1) What size of canned pumpkin did you use? 8 oz. or a bigger size?
2) 12 minutes didn’t seem long enough–the cookies weren’t baked all the way through.

I used dates instead of chips in half the batch I made. THank you.

39 Teri at

Hi Cara!

I used an 8 oz can.

It might vary on your elevation. Just bake until they are springy to the touch, kind of like muffins.

I bet they are delicious with dates! I’ll have to try that!

40 Cara O'Sullivan at

I hadn’t thought of the elevation–we’re in a valley in the Rocky Mountains. Thanks!

41 Melissa at

These look delicious. Has anyone tried using rolled oats, either whole or ground into flour, for a portion of the flour needed? I’m looking for ways to get more oatmeal into my diet. Thanks.

42 Anna at

I literally just made these and they are heaven! Thank you for posting this!

43 Kara at

LOVE this recipe! Just FYI, I double it and make them all at one, then freeze them. They thaw super quick (and get eaten super quick)!