Healthified Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

It’s officially fall: I’ve made pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. And healthy ones, to boot. My friend Shardae is a fabulous baker and when she gave this healthy recipe her seal of approval, I knew they would be delicious and taste anything but healthy.

DSC_1209

Healthy Pumpkin Cookies That Don’t Taste Healthy

RECIPE
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. milk
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Combine pumpkin, sugar, applesauce, egg and vanilla and mix well (we’ll call this the WET mixture)
  3. Combine by whisking: flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt in a separate bowl (aka DRY mixture)
  4. Dissolve baking soda in milk, then add to WET mixture
  5. Gradually add DRY mixture to WET and mix until just combined
  6. Fold in chocolate chips
  7. Grease cookie sheet and use an ice cream scoop to measure out
  8. Bake for 10-12 minutes until they no longer look wet
  9. Let sit on pan for 2 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool

*note: Shar’s recipe didn’t call for nutmeg or cloves. But I’m obsessed with those spices so I added them. Feel free to leave them out.

*Once you put these in a tupperware, they get kind of sticky. So, I make them in small batches (refrigerating the leftover dough) and just leave them out until they are eaten. Smile

DSC_1212-1

Make pumpkin cookies. Eat. Enjoy. Be happy. Maizey approves this message.

Do you have something you bake that officially signals fall to you? Pumpkin cookies and pumpkin bread are my must-bakes before it’s really fall for me. Smile

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 11, 2010 at

I’m making pumpkin choc chip cookies for our small group this Wednesday. I’ve seen them all over blog world and can’t wait to have some myself.

Lauren October 11, 2010 at

Mmm, pumpkin cookies are the best fall treat!

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 11, 2010 at

it’s all about the pumpkin for me too! you had me at “doesn’t taste healthy” :)

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston October 11, 2010 at

Pumpkin means falls here too! I made pumpkin chocolate chip muffins this past weekend (again, hehe).

Jennifer October 11, 2010 at

Best fall treat ever! Thanks for sharing! :) xoxo

Michelle (The Runner's Plate) October 11, 2010 at

I love pumpkin in anything: muffins, cookies, oats, pie. . . okay, mostly just in sweet things. 😉

Katie October 11, 2010 at

Oooo these look so good! Anything pumpkin screams fall to me – I’m going to have to make these asap.

BroccoliHut October 11, 2010 at

Yum! These look like little clouds of heaven!

Teri October 12, 2010 at

clouds of heaven! I love it!

Andrea October 11, 2010 at

Thank you for posting this recipe! I have been searching for a healthy pumpkin cookie/bar recipe. This fits the bill!

Claire October 11, 2010 at

Um, can I have one? Good thing I have the two key ingredients = Pumpkin + Chocolate Chips = heaven….

Teri October 12, 2010 at

they’d be easy to veganize too!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman October 12, 2010 at

Oh yum. The chocolate chips looked like raisins at first, but I’m glad to see they’re chocolate. I love that combo.

Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle October 12, 2010 at

Pumpkin is definitely the #1 sign that it’s fall! But close behind is gingerbread, I will be making some of that tonight!

Nichole October 12, 2010 at

My pumpkin cookies last year were a total fail, cannot wait to try again with a recipe like this.

Anything pumpkin rocks my socks. Pumpkin bread and apple orchards, fave time of year!

Krysten October 12, 2010 at

Oh yummy those look amazing!

Pumpkin and apple pies always signify fall for me!

Rachel October 12, 2010 at

Those cookies look delightful! I’m happy they remind you of fall :)

So many people seem into pumpkin these days that I can’t even think of anything else that is fall-reminiscent!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] October 12, 2010 at

Oh, yes… fall can’t go by without a batch or two… or three of pumpkin muffins.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather October 12, 2010 at

Pumpkin for sure but I think baking in general is very fall-ish to me. When the weather gets cooler I crave comforting foods and that definitely includes naked goodies.

Liz @ Blog is the New Black October 12, 2010 at

Ok, not big on pumpkin but these look way too good!

Shannon October 15, 2010 at

how about pumpkin cinnamon rolls :) hehe, these look great! might need to get my bake on this weekend…

Andrea October 19, 2010 at

Couldn’t wait to try this and mine are hot out of the oven! I am a bit surprised at their cake-like consistency – I think I’d prefer them as muffins instead, but the flavors are spot on (definitely did the nutmeg and cloves – a MUST!) and they’re a good (healthier) treat.

Teri October 19, 2010 at

I should have mentioned their cake-like consistency. That’s how I’ve always had pumpkin cookies and prefer them that way, but I know some people might not like that for a cookie!

They would make awesome muffins! I think I need to try that!

Melanie Big October 26, 2010 at

Wow! Those cookies make me hungry. Better try this one as soon as possible since Halloween is near I should practice making it to make it perfect. Thanks for sharing this healthy recipe of yours.

Melani Schoenhut November 5, 2010 at

Chocolate cookies are always my favorite but I never tried to bake my own cookies. Maybe it is the time for me to bake mine. LOL. Thanks for this easy and simple recipe of yours.

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 7, 2011 at

Pumpkin Cookies — the best ever!! The more and more I explore your blog, the deeper and deeper my adoration for it becomes!!!

Teri January 7, 2011 at

oh yay! I’m so glad you are enjoying it! thank you!

janetha @ meals and moves January 17, 2011 at

making these nowwww

Teri January 19, 2011 at

I hope you liked them!!!

Heather McCarthy September 4, 2011 at

Delicious! I was looking for something just like this and Google led me to your recipe. I messed with it a bit (didn’t add any sugar, used pumpkin pie filling cause that’s all I could get (grrrr) and used applesauce with sugar. I added about a quarter up of wheat bran to the dry ingredients and a little extra pumpkin to make up for hte missing sugar. I still added extra cloves.nutmeg (like you, I like them.) Used broken up 70 percent lindt dark chocolate car instead of chips… and wow!! I will also try your exact recipe when I have the right things…but it worked for me. Thanks for helping me make healthy and tasty food.

Meg September 19, 2011 at

Lovely feel-good fall weekend here in Maine. Had been craving some homeade goodies. Made this recipe and I would have to admit…. BEST pumpkin chocolate chip cookies EVER ! !

Teri September 19, 2011 at

yay!! I’m so glad you liked them! Thanks for letting me know!

Kristy October 3, 2011 at

I made these cookies on the weekend and my kids loved them and I did not feel any guilt because they were healthy. I doubled the batch, added a cup of oatmeal and 3 cups WW flour and a little less sugar and they turned out great. Thanks for the great recipe.

Julia October 20, 2011 at

These were really good, but definitely more of a muffin texture than a cookie.

Alyssa November 29, 2011 at

I made these last week and brought them to a Thanksgiving Potluck- they got RAVE reviews. They’re incredibly easy to prepare, and even easier to consume (sans guilt).
Thank you! I’m making more today… this time they’re staying home just for us :)

Jill December 3, 2011 at

These were AMAZING! In my experience the healthy baking recipes can be a little hit or miss in terms of texture, but these were awesome! I added a little ginger to the recipe and they came out the perfect combination of sweet and savory! yumm!

Tammy April 20, 2012 at

I was surprised by these…sooooooooo yummy and my kids(teenagers) cant get enough.

TY TY TY

Cara O'Sullivan October 7, 2012 at

This reciepe looks great. I tried it this evening and have two questions:

1) What size of canned pumpkin did you use? 8 oz. or a bigger size?
2) 12 minutes didn’t seem long enough–the cookies weren’t baked all the way through.

I used dates instead of chips in half the batch I made. THank you.

Teri October 9, 2012 at

Hi Cara!

I used an 8 oz can.

It might vary on your elevation. Just bake until they are springy to the touch, kind of like muffins.

I bet they are delicious with dates! I’ll have to try that!

Cara O'Sullivan October 9, 2012 at

I hadn’t thought of the elevation–we’re in a valley in the Rocky Mountains. Thanks!

Melissa October 18, 2012 at

These look delicious. Has anyone tried using rolled oats, either whole or ground into flour, for a portion of the flour needed? I’m looking for ways to get more oatmeal into my diet. Thanks.

Anna October 25, 2012 at

I literally just made these and they are heaven! Thank you for posting this!

Kara January 21, 2013 at

LOVE this recipe! Just FYI, I double it and make them all at one, then freeze them. They thaw super quick (and get eaten super quick)!