One of my all-time favorite recipes: Pumpkin Gingerbread

I’m about to share something near and dear to my heart. It also happens to be near and dear to my mouth at this very moment.

Pumpkin Gingerbread.

pumpkin gingerbread-7

My all-time favorite quick bread. My all-time favorite sweet bread. Maybe just my all-time favorite bread, period. Let’s go.

Mix mix mix your ingredients. I used my Bosch, but if you don’t have an electric mixer, you can do this with a handheld mixer or with a whisk. However, you might want to halve the recipe or use a giant bowl since it’s a large batch (two loaves).

pumpkin gingerbread-2

And the end of mixing, you’re looking for a thick batter. Like such.

pumpkin gingerbread-1

I had to show you my pretty pan since 99% of the time, the loaf doesn’t come out pretty and little pieces stay in the leaves and my loaf looks deformed. Darn those fancy Williams & Sonoma leaves.

pumpkin gingerbread-3

Pour and bake.

pumpkin gingerbread-4

Let cool. Cross fingers that the darn fancy leaves come out pretty since you’d like to take this to your neighbor.

pumpkin gingerbread-5

• 2 1/2 cups spelt flour or whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 c all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Grease two 9×5 inch loaf pans.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, oil, applesauce and eggs; beat until smooth. Add water and beat until well blended. Mix in pumpkin until combined.
  4. In medium bowl, combine ginger, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, flours, soda, salt and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and blend just until all ingredients are mixed. Divide batter between greased pans.
  5. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 50-60 minutes.
  6. Cool completely on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.

pumpkin gingerbread-8

It’s amazing when it’s warm with a little butter, but still fantastic as it cools. And it gets better after a day or two. My favorite time to eat it is the day-of when the crust is still slightly crunchy (it softens up after it’s stored). Enjoy!

Notes:
  • I have added chocolate chips before, but I think it’s better without it. You get more of the ginger flavor without the chocolate competing.
  • For the flour, you could likely use 3.5 cups of spelt or whole wheat pastry flour instead of the split ratio. I just never have. You could also use all-purpose flour for the full amount if you don’t have spelt or ww pastry flour on hand.
  • I have been known to eat an entire loaf by myself within 24 hours.

Thanksgiving question of the day: Is it “dressing” or “stuffing”? I had never even heard of “dressing” until a few  years ago. It was always “stuffing” at my house, even if it wasn’t stuffed in a bird. Actually, I’m not sure if I’ve ever had stuffing from the inside of a bird…(Mom, have I?). I hope not. Because that’s disgusting.

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston November 22, 2010 at

Wow that pan leaves the bread looking gorgeous — LOVE!

christina November 22, 2010 at

It is definitely stuffing!!! Who dresses the bird?!?! So weird…omg and check out this site…it’s perfect for this post.

Jess @atasteofconfidence November 22, 2010 at

it’s definitely stuffing:)
bread looks amazing

Angie @ Everyday Inspirations November 22, 2010 at

I’m sooooo making this. YUM! Love your cute Williams Sonoma pan! Your bread turned out great!

Matt November 22, 2010 at

Looks awesome! I would like some of that right now 😉

Megan (Running Foodie) November 22, 2010 at

What a great loaf pan! W&S always has the cutest stuff!

ashly November 22, 2010 at

i was already planning on making pumpkin bread tomorrow! I am switching to this recipe. It looks so so yummy. I’m gonna have to use all all-purpose flour though. You won’t catch me heading out in the snow with 3 kids just for different flour! Wish me luck!

Teri November 23, 2010 at

I don’t blame you. Snow + kids + driving is a bad idea. I hope you like it! Miss your face!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day November 22, 2010 at

Oooh, that looks incredible. You can just see the moisture in the bread.

I use dressing and stuffing interchangeably, regardless, they are never stuffed in my birds :)

Charliegirl November 22, 2010 at

yuummmm. warm with butter for breakfast…i can almost taste it!

Claire November 22, 2010 at

um bookmarked…beautiful and I am sure delicious!

oh, and definitely stuffing…

Robyn November 22, 2010 at

My high school bio teacher once told me that a majority of food poisoning cases around the holidays come from poorly cooked-in-bird stuffing. Yuck.

Teri November 23, 2010 at

eeewwww! well, that’s good to know!

Katie November 23, 2010 at

I have a pumpkin gingerbread recipe that I made last year, but yours looks way better.

Stuffing, dressing? Who cares. It’s awesome.

Ally November 23, 2010 at

Oh my yum. That looks so amazing! I must make this before the end of pumpkin season.

Stuffing is my vote. Dressing is just kind of weird.

Mama Pea November 23, 2010 at

Okay, read my post and then tell me what you think of this:

Pumpkin Gingerbread Bread Pudding.

I’m rethinking Thanksgiving dessert.

Teri November 23, 2010 at

hahaha! So funny! I need to try yours now too.

I think I might have to rethink my dessert too. Pumpkin Gingerbread Bread Pudding sounds amazing. Will you have a recipe created before Thursday? 😉

Lauren November 23, 2010 at

I think this is my favorite recipe too and I’ve never even made it. 😉

Jessica @ How Sweet November 23, 2010 at

I’ve never really been a fan of gingerbread, but I think that I would love this. Sounds delish girl!

Maddie (Healthy Maddie) November 23, 2010 at

Yum! I need to try this. I love pumpkin bread! I’ve always called it stuffing, I’ve actually never heard it called dressing.

Jenn @ Lean Body Pilates November 23, 2010 at

#1. I am making that bread this instant… It looks amazing!
#2. I think it’s stuffing. However, I was talking to my mom yesterday and she called it dressing, which perplexed me as I don’t remember ever hearing that growing up… either way, hers is the best I have ever had.

Liz @ Blog is the New Black November 23, 2010 at

I was just looking for gingerbread recipes! :) Thanks!

Stuffing… of course… even if it’s not from a bird- WHY would it be called “dressing?” I never got that!

Michelle M November 23, 2010 at

We always call it stuffing, but I found this tidbit of info…
“The term stuffing first appears in English print in 1538. After 1880, it seems the term stuffing did not appeal to the propriety of the Victorian upper crust, who began referring to it as dressing. Nowadays, the terms stuffing and dressing are used interchangeably, with stuffing being the term of preference in the South and East portions of the United States. “

Teri November 23, 2010 at

ooooh, interesting! that’s funny that “stuffing” wasn’t quite uppity enough and that’s why they changed the name.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 23, 2010 at

Pumpkin and gingerbread are my 2 favorite holiday flavors. This totally went in my to-make recipe folder. 😀

Jackie (ananda prana) November 23, 2010 at

That pan is so pretty!! Perfect holiday gift for someone who likes to bake :)

alana (at) the food November 23, 2010 at

gingerbread is the bomb.

Heather (Heather's Dish) November 23, 2010 at

that pan is AWESOME! such a beautiful creation :)

Damaris @Kitchen Corners November 23, 2010 at

Pumpkin plus ginger bread together rhymes with genius. I love your pretty pan.

Liz November 23, 2010 at

We always called it stuffing even when it wasn’t baked in a bird. But it’s really not disgusting when it is – it’s pretty delicious. But now I’m a vegetarian so I don’t roll that way anymore.

Courtney F November 23, 2010 at

That bread does look fabulous! I love the bread pan design!
We have always had dressin'(no g required). =)

Lauren November 23, 2010 at

We definitely say stuffing at my house and it’s never been stuffed into anything but my stomach. That loaf pan is too cute and the bread looks to die for!

Ashley November 23, 2010 at

STUFFING!!! That bread looks awesome. Have you tried the baking spray with the flour in it? It works really well!! Although it looks like you had no problem with the release this time. :) Hope you have an awesome Thanksgiving!! xo

Poppy @ From Fried Chicken to Tofu November 23, 2010 at

It’s totally dressing! Don’t ask me whay…it’s just what we alwasys called it at home growing up.

Also, I’m with hubby…chocolate chips would be awesome in the mix!

Nichole November 23, 2010 at

Can this screen be scratch and sniff?! Turned out perfect. Move over Martha.

Krista (kristastes) November 23, 2010 at

Definitely stuffing :) That loaf pattern is so darn cute!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] November 23, 2010 at

Recipe bookmarked – yum, girl, yummm!

Liz @ IHeartVegetables November 23, 2010 at

Woah, this looks SO good. And since I have no patience for bread that isn’t quick bread… this looks perfect 😉

Lauren November 23, 2010 at

Looks so good! I’ve always heard stuffing and never dressing.

Pure2raw Twins November 23, 2010 at

Wow, pumpkin gingerbread looks amazing!! I love both those flavors!!! This is really making me crave some pumpkin bread now 😉

~Lori

Katie November 23, 2010 at

Nothing is better than pumpkin gingerbread…especially for breakfast…all toasted up with butter on it. Sigh. How delicious.

My whole family says “dressing” – but I’m with you and say “stuffing” – even though it’s not stuffed into a bird. :-)

Clare @ Fitting It All In November 24, 2010 at

Recipe looks fabulous! Love the healthy modifications:)

And totally STUFFING. Dressing sounds too proper. This stuff is not proper.

Jessica November 24, 2010 at

I just made a chocolate chip banana gingerbread that was to-die-for! I know what you mean about too many flavors competing that it can take away from the overall taste but this was perfect! I bet I’d love your recipe too. Ginger is one of my favorite flavors!

dana @ my little celebration November 24, 2010 at

Yummers! The bread looks amazing! I have been trying to find a good pumpkin bread recipe to make for my husband and this just may be it.

Thanks for sharing and Happy Thanksgiving!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] December 10, 2010 at

my plan is to make this [in muffin form] as a fun and delicious break b/w studying for finals :)

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 7, 2011 at

Pumpkin Gingerbread — oh la la!!!! I love the one with the designs! SO PRETTY!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] September 20, 2011 at

I can’t wait to make this now that fall is approaching :)

Sarah October 22, 2011 at

I am allll into pumpkin gingerbread lately…. check out Angela’s recipe at ohsheglows.com …. her Pumpkin Gingerbread with Spiced Buttercream frosting is to DIE for. This recipe looks delish, but the blackstrap molasses and maple syrup in hers really makes that particular version SHINE! P.s. I’m not vegan so I included a regular egg instead of her chia egg.

Cassandra Marie May 21, 2012 at

What lovely recipe! I would love to make it but have a few questions…..living in Africa means I can not get some items. Could I use coconut oil work instead of applesauce? Apples are very $$$ out here. Also I can not get canned pumpkin but there are many pumpkins! Would homemade mashed pumpkin work just as well? Last question… would whole wheat flour work instead of whole wheat pastry flour? Thanks for your help. I would love to make this while living in Uganda.

Teri May 21, 2012 at

Yes, I think coconut oil would work. Any oil really. And definitely homemade mashed pumpkin would work. I’m just too lazy to do that! :)

Whole wheat flour will work but it will be a little denser than with pastry flour. You could sub in some white flour in place of it to keep the texture more consistent.

Good luck! let me know how it turns out!

Cassandra Marie May 22, 2012 at

Thanks Teri! I have some people staying with me next month(from South Sudan) and I will be making this for them. I will let you know how it turn out! My mouth is watering just thinking about it

Cassandra Marie May 27, 2012 at

I could not wait until June! Made it yesterday….and it is very YUMMY! A little dens but still very good. I’ll play with the flour rations again next time. Made enough homemade mashed pumpkin for two more batches… :)

Elizabeth May 28, 2012 at

I made two loaves today, cut the sugar by 1/2 cup (will do even less sugar next time) subbed the oil for more applesauce, and cut the water in half. I didn’t even pretend to measure my spices, I put in a good deal more than called for. Not very “ginger-y” but very, very good! I used pumpkin pie spice, ginger and cloves. Unfortunately, I sent the second loaf with my parents before I tasted my loaf. They wouldn’t have heard about it until they were back home after the holiday weekend… 3 hours away! I will be making this many times in the future! Only problem was it was kind of stick on the outside.
Question: if I continue to cut the sugar, would I need to do anything else to get the quantities to balance?

Tanya August 14, 2013 at

I continue to make it a few dozen times per year ever since you first posted it. LOVE this recipe – thank you!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] August 18, 2013 at

i’m so glad you enjoy it! :)

Kaitlin December 9, 2013 at

3 Cups of sugar seems like a lot. Have you tried replacing it or some of it with any other products? I know it makes 2 loaves, but all the other ingredients make it seem like it could be so much healthier.