Body Movin’, Body Movin’ , We be Body…Rockin’

06/06/2011

Two weekends ago, I got to hang out with Michelle and Lori, the lovely bloggers from Pure2Raw and the talented bakers behind Twin Cakes Bakery. They came up for the Tanglewood Food & Wine Festival and I had been excited for weeks, looking forward to their visit.  We made plans to meet at the festival which was about 15 minutes from my house. 2 HOURS LATER, I parked my car. IMG_1467_thumb1I was ill-prepared in the fuel department for such traffic. IMG_1468_thumb1But I was well-prepared in the sun-protection department. SPF 70? Check. Enormous hat? Check. Fully acclimated Southerner? Check.IMG_1465_thumb2

Purse: Nine West via TJ Maxx
Sandals: DSW (I think…maybe Nordstrom Rack)
Front-zipper Dress: Warren on King (Charleston, SC)
hat: all through the house (Winston salem)

We had so much fun together. My favorite part of the day was when we put a blanket out on the grass in the shade and just chatted away. We sat there for over 2 hours and didn’t even realize how much time had past. They are just as wonderful as they seem on their blog.IMG_1470_thumb2We enjoyed a sushi dinner before tucking in for the night on Saturday. When we woke up on Sunday, we headed out for some fresh fruit from Whole Foods and coffee from one of my favorite Winston Salem places, Krankies.IMG_1473_thumb2It was such a wonderful weekend with them and I can’t wait to get together again soon!IMG_1472_thumb1During the weekend, I asked them a bit about their BodyRock workouts. I’ve read a lot about them on their blog and after hearing more about their results, I was finally ready to try it myself.

I’ve only done one, but holy moly, it kicked.my.butt. And it was only 12 minutes long. BodyRock workouts are high-intensity interval training, can be done at home without any (or minimal) equipment and they’re short but not so sweet. Lori and Michelle have had great results (um, hello abs) from BodyRock and I can see why.

The workouts are intense, but they’re so short that they’re totally manageable. I think they’ll be a great replacement for one of my longer workouts during the week – perhaps nixing one Body Pump class (I currently aim for two a week).  You can read more about the workouts here.

Thanks again Lori and Michelle for a wonderful weekend and for introducing me to the joy(and pains) of BodyRock. I loved chatting with you about blogging’s ups and downs – you inspired me to give some love to my neglected blog. I’ll be ordering some of your delicious biscotti soon.

What are your thoughts on balls-to-the wall/sprint-type workouts? Love ‘em? Hate ‘em? I always think that I don’t like it but when I actually do that type of workout, I love it. And I swear I can see new muscle tone so quickly when I do it a few times!

P.S. Did I get that stupid Beastie Boys’ song stuck in your head with the blog title? oops! Sorry!

1 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn 06/06/2011 at 8:25 pm

What an adorrrable summer dress! Love the twinsies. I am so glad you three had a good time!
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn´s last blog post ..Do you like my dress Senior Ball Pictures!

2 Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy & Healthy 06/06/2011 at 8:36 pm

I do like short intense workouts because it’s easier to get through when the end is so close in sight!
And that song with absolutely be stuck in my head the rest of the night…. but I love me some Bestie Boys so it’s all good.
Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy & Healthy´s last blog post ..A Day of Firsts

3 stoppingfordaisies 06/06/2011 at 8:37 pm

Ha ha loving the hat. And sounds like a great time! :)
stoppingfordaisies´s last blog post ..How laziness can be good…

4 Heather (Heather's Dish) 06/06/2011 at 8:47 pm

omg girl i LOVE LOVE LOVE your hat! so cute :)
Heather (Heather’s Dish)´s last blog post ..A Good One

5 BroccoliHut 06/06/2011 at 8:53 pm

I just bought a big floppy hat for myself, and I love it! The perfect summer accessory!

6 Pure2raw twins 06/06/2011 at 9:08 pm

miss you!!! we had so much fun, cannot wait to do it again. We enjoyed all our chats, and so happy we were able to help you out. love you

so happy you liked bodyrock. great short and sweet workouts!

7 Chicago Cuisine Critique 06/06/2011 at 9:44 pm

Your outfit is too cute! Interval workouts are the way to go. They are definitely the easiest way to get into shape. Sounds like a fun time!
Chicago Cuisine Critique´s last blog post ..Highlight of the Weekend

8 Liz @ iheartvegetables 06/06/2011 at 9:57 pm

I love those workouts AFTER the fact… but it’s hard to psyche myself up to do it!

That zipper front dress is totally cute!
Liz @ iheartvegetables´s last blog post ..Secret Chili Dip Giveaway!

9 Ellie@fitforthesoul 06/07/2011 at 3:04 am

yes yes yes! those are the very types of workouts I do and looooooove!!! short and intense! yayyyy glad you like that kind too now that you’ve tried it! :D
Ellie@fitforthesoul´s last blog post ..Makin’Bakin’

10 Allison 06/07/2011 at 4:15 am

I love Bodyrock!! I have done those workouts for almost a year and a half on and off and boy do they kick butt!! Since they are so intense and since i can be extremely lazy i slack on them a bunch but since i am going home in less then a month, i’m taking things up a notch and Bodyrock is most definitely back in my life:)
Allison´s last blog post ..Happy Memorial Day

11 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun 06/07/2011 at 5:38 am

I love high intensity workouts like that. Haven’t tried one of the BodyRock workouts but they sound fun in a sadistic way. LOL

Don’t you love meeting other bloggers and how natural it is to just spend hours chatting? :)
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun´s last blog post ..Self-Love Reflection- Overcoming Binging

12 Heather @ Side of Sneakers 06/07/2011 at 6:50 am

Aww this is the first time in 3 years I wasn’t able to go to the wine festival- it’s so fun!!

13 Lee 06/07/2011 at 7:08 am

Yes, that song is in my head now!!!
Lee´s last blog post ..Weighing Myself

14 Hannah (tickledtofu) 06/07/2011 at 9:49 am

I’ve got to say, your outfit is sosososo adorable!! Especially with that sunhat! LOVE it!
Hannah (tickledtofu)´s last blog post ..Refresh

15 LauraJayne 06/07/2011 at 2:11 pm

I haven’t tried a short, sprint-like session yet – I’ve always wanted to, so I’m signed up for one tomorrow morning! I’m a little afraid!
LauraJayne´s last blog post ..The Weekday Salad

16 Irene 06/07/2011 at 6:41 pm

I try and do HIIT, but I don’t think I push myself hard enough. I’m a cardio junkie and feel guilty when I don’t do long cardio workouts. It’s a mental block I don’t know how to pass.

17 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] 06/08/2011 at 1:15 am

I am so intrigued by BodyRock — thanks for sharing! I definitely want to try it — I mean look at Zuzana’s bod!
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]´s last blog post ..happy trails

18 janetha @ meals & moves 06/08/2011 at 1:58 pm

i love bodyrock! and you! and the twins!
janetha @ meals & moves´s last blog post ..not my day

19 Ashley 06/08/2011 at 5:43 pm

Ummm, adorable outfit!!!! So wish I could have been there with you, Michelle + Lori!!!! Glad you didn’t run out of gas. :)