5 Ways I’m Gonna Get My Workout Mojo Back

I taught cycle last Friday. That’s the last time I worked out. Unless you count walks on the beach last weekend. Which I do because any prolonged movement is good but it was just so darn relaxing that it didn’t feel like work at all.

I don’t feel guilty for not working out this week. My eating has  been way off too. Too much snacking, too much junk. Still don’t feel guilty. But I don’t feel great. I feel puffy and just kind of icky. So it’s time to get back into my healthy routines.

Plus, I realized today that the Blue Ridge Relay is a little over a month away. Ummmm crap. I haven’t run since July 12 . And I’d like to build up to half marathon distance – at least – by race time. Oh, and I’ve got to fit in some tapering too. Doesn’t leave me much time, does it?

So, here’s my plan to get my workout groove back. And keep it.

1. Plan my workouts in advance. Instead of reporting on my workouts in The Weekender, I’m going to outline my workout plans for the week. It’ll hold me accountable.

2. Bring my Brita filter to work and drink more water. I’ve noticed since I’ve moved work buildings and the water cooler is more out of the way from my desk that I’m drinking less. So I’m pretty sure I’m dehydrated…which saps my energy… which makes me not want to work out.

3. Schedule yoga or Body Flow into my workout plan. I know that I’m prone to IT band injuries, especially when I build up my mileage quickly. And since I’ll be racking up some distance pretty quickly, I need to be careful not to get injured. Extra stretching will help. So will The Stick.

4. Use Twitter for motivation. Every time I’ve called out on Twitter that I’m debating whether or not to do a workout, I get a lot of support and encouragement and do the workout. And I’m always glad I did. (Thanks Tweeps!)

5. Keep my house clean. Sounds like an odd one, but when my house is messy (which often since I live here), I feel like everything is a little more difficult to accomplish. Although, I do agree with this statement. 😉IMG_1558

In the spirit of getting started with this plan, here’s my workout plan for the next two days before I do Sunday’s update with the upcoming week’s workouts.

• Tomorrow – Teach RPM
  • Saturday – Teach RPM + take Body Pump
  • Sunday – Bikram Yoga or Body Flow

I’m glad I’ll be forced to work out to jumpstart my fitness by being on the group fitness schedule on Friday and Saturday.

How do you get your workout groove back when ya lose it?

Pure2raw Twins July 21, 2011 at

We try to remember how great we will feel when we do workout! And that it is ok to take breaks but the heart loves a little movement too 😉 – is some things we say to ourselves to get going. Definitely planning out a schedule helps us too and getting support from others. it is nice having a twin because you always have someone to push you when you do not feel like it :) You are more than welcome to be our triplet!! xoxo

Sam July 21, 2011 at

Download new music! I have my eye on a Spotify premium account. If I ended up buying it (total impulse) then I’ll be able to listen to a new album every time I work out. For free (because the premium account allows you to have the music on your phone/iPod). Which is awesome. Sooooo tempting…! AH.

Lindsey July 21, 2011 at

I also need to plan my workouts in advance, it gives me a sense of structure and responsibility to complete the workouts verse if I just leave the week open to do as I please. I also have been known to treat myself if I stay on track, nothing fancy, maybe even just a Starbucks at the end of the week!

Katie July 21, 2011 at

I’ve started putting my workouts on my calendar. I know it sounds very type-A (which I am), but seeing it there and getting an email reminder really push me out the door when I can’t quite get the motivation myself!

kk July 21, 2011 at

your workout plans next week had better involve a “killer workout with katelin” day- complete with tires and ropes and crazy exercises that will take your groove to the next level. this is not optional.

Liz @ iheartvegetables July 21, 2011 at

Isn’t it crazy how little things like drinking water can make a huge difference? And nothing gives me a kick of motivation like some tweets from my fitness peeps! :)

MelissaNibbles July 22, 2011 at

I like to workout in the morning. Just get it over with so it’s not hanging over my head for the rest of the day.

brandi July 22, 2011 at

Umm…I have no idea how to get it back :) We’ve run twice this entire YEAR! but i’m okay with it. We’re out in the garden all the time, then prepping veggies (on our feet), canning, etc. I’d rather do that than run right now.

Molly July 22, 2011 at

Since I sprained my ankle last week, I’ve never wanted to work out more. Maybe time away from the gym is good because absence makes the heart grow fonder? I will definitely be motivated once my ankle heals!

Heather @ Girlyeverafter July 22, 2011 at

I have to just grab the bull by the horns and jump back into my routine full force. When I go on vacays or just take a few days off I know if I try and ease in to it I ease right back off. So for me I just have to go for it to remind myself why I shouldn’t take more than two days off at a time.

Cat @Breakfast to Bed July 22, 2011 at

I bribe myself. “if i go running 4x this week, I’ll get myself a new pair of running shorts” or something of the like.

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well. July 22, 2011 at

I remind myself how great I feel (and look!) when I do work out and eat better. Remembering the extra energy I have when I stick to my healthy habits is also very motivating! Good luck!

Alaina July 22, 2011 at

I have absolutely no energy lately. I think it has to do with the heat. :-)

For me, it’s just getting my butt out of bed and getting out there. I need to sometimes kick my own butt.

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed July 22, 2011 at

Planning ahead definitely helps and imagining how great I always feel after a workout. Oooh making a gym date with a friend is good too! You can do it :)

Jennifer July 22, 2011 at

Wow, I thought I was the only one that felt like everything became difficult to accomplish when the house is a mess! I always feel like I should stay home a clean over every other task I want to accomplish. It is great to hear I am not alone.

Chicago Cuisine Critique July 22, 2011 at

I started doing this accountability on the blog too. I have been slacking the past few weeks..took 2 weeks off and this week i’m back. Next week the accountability tracker will be back in full force. Mine usually come out on Sun or Mon. Perfect for planning the week ahead. :)

Addie Ohrn July 22, 2011 at

This is wonderful! I have not worked out in forever & I really need to get motivated to get back on the band wagon! I’ll have to make a plan/goal to work out this week! Thanks Ter! :)

Bonnie July 22, 2011 at

Great post! I loved reading the comments and hearing all the different ways people stay committed and/or get their motivation back…The biggest thing for me is knowing that NO ONE ever says, “Well, that workout was a waste of time.” or “I wish I didn’t just do that.” No way! Everyone says “I’m SO glad I just did that workout!” In other words, I never regret it and it’s always a good use of my time. I also remember that moving at all is always better than a day without movement, even if my workout isn’t as extreme or stellar as sometimes I might wish. Have some great workouts this next week/end!

Nicole July 23, 2011 at

I’m trying to work up a little motivation myself right now! I like your list and there are definitely 3 or 4 of those that I’m putting on mine! Cleaning my house is happening right after a little bloggie reading :)

Ellie@fitforthesoul July 24, 2011 at

I really really don’t mean to sound arrogant about it! But so far, I haven’t “lost my workout groove”! I hope that doesn’t mean a huge one is coming on its way though! haha. I just really enjoy it and the addicting after effect of strength+adrenaline. But like today, I had a hard time getting started because I felt so sleepy and it was still morning! When that happened, I just reminded myself how awake I’d feel, and forged ahead. :) Hope all goes well for you Teri!

Shae July 24, 2011 at

I haven’t been able to find a way to get my workout groove back. I’m still looking. You helped.

Thanks!

Candice @ Sweet and sour candi July 24, 2011 at

I have a bad habit of getting on a hardcore workout schedule and then getting worn out or busy and falling off the bandwagon. I’m working on staying more even keeled and listening to my body, so that I’m not on the “rollarcoaster” up and down. Taking days off and not depriving myself of the occasional treat helps me.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun July 25, 2011 at

Twitter really is so great for motivation! And I love that you’re sharing you struggle with exercise on occasion too. I think I’m on the verge of slipping into a slump. You’re going to motivate me out of it with this post. :)

Sophie July 29, 2011 at

I find it really helps to make lists (I’m that kind of person :-P)
A list of reasons you enjoy working out to remind yourself of what you get out of it and then a list of workouts you want to accomplish in the next week.
Having it written down definitely motivates me as it feels great to cross them off!

Lisa August 26, 2011 at

Signing up for an event works for me. I was starting to feel the “blahs” about my workout and I signed up for and participated in the Portland Century bike ride (last weekend) and it was GREAT!