Pairing Cupcakes & Wine

11/01/2011

Last week, Meghan and I went to a cupcake and wine tasting event.  Let’s think about this for a moment:

Cupcakes…cupcake_wine tasting-3

and wine…cupcake_wine tasting-2

and a good friend. cupcake_wine tasting-41

Sounds like a perfect evening, right? It was.

The cupcakes were made by a local bakery, Camino (the one I blogged about a few days ago), Miss WineOH chose wines to pair with the cupcakes, and City Beverage hosted the event. City Beverage is a really cool place…I always kind of forget about it but I don’t think I will now!cupcake_wine tasting-11

There were some pretty unusual cupcakes but I loved them all. Read the flavors. You might be a little shocked.cupcake_wine tasting-6

I loved the vanilla bean cake with strawberry balsamic frosting. (Did I or did I not tell you that strawberries and balsamic vinegar are great together? ;) )cupcake_wine tasting-7

There were even real pieces of fresh strawberry in the icing!cupcake_wine tasting-10

This was the roasted garlic cake with gouda icing and little pieces of gouda cheese on top. Um, YEAH. It was kind of crazy but I liked it. It just caught me off guard after all the sweet stuff but it paired really nicely with the Pinot Noir.cupcake_wine tasting-12

The Dante Pinot Noir wasn’t my favorite pinot noir ever but it really worked well with the garlic cake. cupcake_wine tasting-22

(Isn’t it always nice to have a partner in photographing crime?)cupcake_wine tasting-15

I also really liked the saffron cake with the cardamom icing. The cake was bright yellow inside from the saffron. Pretty!cupcake_wine tasting-16

I also liked the rosé with the saffron cake. I might just have to try a rosé the next time I have Indian food!cupcake_wine tasting-14

The dark chocolate cake with currant icing was so rich but good. I’m not generally a Merlot fan but I liked the one they served with it. Plus, it was perfect with the cupcake flavors.cupcake_wine tasting-26

The chocolate spice cake with cinnamon icing was vegan, but the cake was really dry and dense, which was disappointing since my previous experience with vegan cupcakes was out of this world.cupcake_wine tasting-28

Here’s Miss WineOH herself. Check out her website. I want her job…you will too.cupcake_wine tasting-32

There were a lot of really fun people at the event, including this cute couple from Greensboro. Tyler and Wil were so nice and fun! It’s always great when you go to an event and are seated by people that turn out to be very cool.cupcake_wine tasting-33

The aftermath!cupcake_wine tasting-38

Thanks for the fun night Meghan and for inviting me! Tell Matt and Buddy thanks for sharing you for a girls’ night out! :) cupcake_wine tasting-40

All in all, it was an absolutely delicious and fun night! In case you’re wondering (I bet you weren’t), my favorite wine of the night was the 2010 Bourgeois Cuvee Stephi Chardonnay. It’s aged in stainless steel barrels, not oak like Chardonnay usually is, so it was really clean tasting and didn’t have that oaky-ness that some people don’t like. I usually like Chardonnays anyway but I really liked this one.

To be honest, this was the first time where I really could tell how food and wine work so well together when paired correctly. I knew that wine could enhance flavors of food and know some general “rules” but I finally really got it that night. Great job Miss WineOH! I guess that’s why she’s the professional.

I’d definitely recommend attending one of Miss WineOH’s events if there is one in your area!

If you could only choose one thing, would you want a cupcake or a class of wine? I’d go with a class of wine!

1 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles 11/01/2011 at 7:15 pm

What a fun (and delicious!) event. I definitely think I could live on cupcakes and wine…my two favorite things.

PS – I’m going to be at Foodbuzz this weekend. Hope to meet you! :)
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles´s last blog post ..Organic Treats

2 Lindsay @ biking before bed 11/01/2011 at 7:38 pm

I would have to go with a glass of white wine. This would be a fun idea for an all girl party. Everyone brings their favorite cupcake or wine!
Lindsay @ biking before bed´s last blog post ..No witches were harmed in the making of this post

3 BroccoliHut 11/01/2011 at 7:50 pm

I definitely vote for a cupcake–give me sweets any time!
BroccoliHut´s last blog post ..What’s your number?

4 Megan (Running Foodie) 11/01/2011 at 8:12 pm

When Brian and I were in Seattle a few years ago, we attended a wine + mac & cheese pairing. AMAZING!
Megan (Running Foodie)´s last blog post ..Happy Halloween!

5 Maya 11/01/2011 at 8:36 pm

Cupcakes and wine ALWAYS go well together (especially when you’re drinking bubbles). However pairing wines with specific flavors of cupcakes. Genius. I just wish they had something like this in my area…

6 Tammy Colson 11/01/2011 at 9:02 pm

It was so great to meet you both at CityBev last week. I’m glad you enjoyed the event, and found a new wine to love.

I agree, that Rose would pair beautifully with Indian or Thai. And while Dante may not be your favorite pinot noir, in the price range of around $14, there are plenty of pinots to try.

You take some great foodgasm pictures – i’ll be sure to refer folks to your blog!

Looking forward to getting back to Cleveland for holiday events, but meeting people like you, I’ll definitely be back to the Triad in the spring for another round of unique wine experiences.

And to answer your question… I’ll take the wine! :) But you probably knew that.

Tammy
Chief Tasting Officer
Miss WineOH

7 Nicole 11/01/2011 at 9:26 pm

What a great event, would be a fun party to host at my house! Oh, and wine beats cupcakes anytime in my book. :)

8 aubry 11/02/2011 at 12:00 am

ummmm….. diet coke?
aubry´s last blog post ..pumpkins, oh my!

9 Krystina (Organically Me) 11/02/2011 at 1:01 am

Holy crap, whoever thought of this idea is a genius. Someone needs to do this in Orlando.

10 Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn 11/02/2011 at 7:14 am

Oh wow this looks like such a great event!
I’d love to go to a cupcake tasting :-)
And I’ve have to go for a cupcake rather than a glass of wine because I’m really not a fan of the latter!
The vanilla cupcake with strawberry and balsamic frosting sounds delicious :-)
Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn´s last blog post ..November Goals: Looking Back and Looking Forwards

11 Amy 11/02/2011 at 7:20 am

Wine + Cupcakes + Friends = exactly how I want to spend my evenings! I would definitely go for a wine class, though, because I’m pretty much satisfied with Betty Crocker, from-the-box cupcakes. Distinguished palette, you know. :)
Amy´s last blog post ..Magical

12 Alycia 11/02/2011 at 8:09 am

Anything that involves cupcakes gets my vote! Sounds like a great time!

13 Candice @ Sailing on Paper 11/02/2011 at 12:09 pm

This looks like so much fun! Love the close-up photos of the cupcakes. Delicious! I’ve always had trouble with wine and food pairing, too. It seems like using dessert would such a fun way to learn how to taste wine the “right” way.

14 Maria 11/02/2011 at 2:29 pm

Yum!!!

15 Balancing Sylvia 11/03/2011 at 1:19 am

This event looks like THE perfect evening out! This is so genius and the savory cupcake sounds pretty interesting and strangely delicious.

I love cupcakes but I would totally take wine over cupcakes any day.
Balancing Sylvia´s last blog post ..New Kitchen Friends

16 Pure2raw twins 11/03/2011 at 10:08 am

oh what a fun idea! cupcakes and wine two of my favorite things

17 Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files 11/03/2011 at 12:17 pm

cupcakes and wine?! at one event?! sounds and looks heavenly! so jealous!
Chelcie @ Chelcie’s Food Files´s last blog post ..Throwback Thursday!-Cooking School in France Summer 2011

18 Kris | iheartwellness.com 11/03/2011 at 6:42 pm

What a FUN event!!!! I would love to do something like this! I do love me my cupcakes…but I do REALLY like me my wine ;)

xxoo

19 Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles 11/04/2011 at 12:08 pm

Uh, can I just say: Dream Come True. Holy smokes! And men wonder about the secret to a woman’s heart…
Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles´s last blog post ..A Miracle of Miracles

20 Sheila Dereba 11/04/2011 at 2:10 pm

Heard about cheese and wine but never cup cakes and wines. This is a must try for me.

21 Alicia @beingLA 11/05/2011 at 2:41 pm

Cakes and wine?? Who knew! That is such a great idea. You’ve inspired me to throw my own Cupcake & Wine get-together with my friends. Thanks for sharing!
Alicia @beingLA´s last blog post ..Boots, boots, and more boots!

22 Danielle 11/05/2011 at 4:22 pm

Oh wow, those all look absolutely amazing. Cupcakes and wine sounds like the perfect combo in my book!