Top 10 Reasons I Loved the Mistletoe Half Marathon (2.0)

12/05/2011

Last year I ran the Mistletoe Half Marathon with my bestie Courtney and blogged the top 10 reasons why I loved it. I ran it again this year so it’s time for the second edition of Top 10!

10. I registered the night before the race. I’ve never done that before. The downside – increased registration fees. The upside – no prerace jitters! I hadn’t trained at all and the furthest I’ve run in months (maybe even a year) was 7 miles. So I went into it planning to just enjoy the run and have fun.IMG_3187

9. I jogged to the start line and walked home. That’s half the reason I wanted to run the race – just because it was so dang convenient!

8. I didn’t have to wear my hood during the race. Mistletoe is notorious for crappy weather. Freezing cold. Snow. Rain. You  name it. It was chilly at the start but not miserable. Well, my toes were miserable while waiting for the race to start. They were freezing but not nearly as cold as last year! How on earth did I run without socks last year:?! (See #5)IMG_3182

7. They gave out medals. Last year they just gave out ribbons and I know a lot of races are going away from medals. I happen to like getting hardware. IMG_3196

6. My iPod died at mile 2. This was the most ill-prepared I’ve ever been for a race. No training. Forgot to charge my iPod, let alone make a playlist. No game plan. Just running. And it was nice that my iPod died because it let me listen to my body more and enjoy the race experience more.

5. I took a hot bath post-race. I know ice baths are better for recovery. But when it’s cold outside and I just ran my booty off, I deserve to spoil myself. And a hot bath was woooonderful. Followed up by a hard cider, of course.IMG_3199

4. Hanging out with friends after the race. Some of my Dance Trance buddies were performing at the finish line so I got to watch them and hang with them. I lingered for almost 2 hours after I finished. I was freezing but it was just a fun atmosphere.

3. I ran without my Garmin. Granted, I was forced into that since I lost mine but it was actually really nice. I listened to my body and gauged my pace that way. And I didn’t get frustrated like I sometimes did with the Garmin when it reported a pace I considered sub-par.IMG_3180

2. I ran it again in Vibrams but didn’t have the severe calf pain afterwards. I’m getting stronger in these monkey shoes! Last year, I had been running in VFF for 4 months before the race. Now I’ve got almost a year and a half experience of running “barefoot.” IMG_3181(These are the Vibram Bikilas with Injiji socks.)

1. And the best part about the race? I FREAKING SET A PR!!!! I ran the half marathon in 1:49:19. I could NOT believe it considering how very very little I’ve been running lately. It’s been no secret on the blog that I’m struggling with workouts, but this was just the motivation boost that I needed to really train for another half.IMG_3200

I ran sub-8 minute miles for most of the race based on my old school watch and a little math while running. And I knew atmile 4 that even if I slowed significantly, I’d still beat my previous PR, which was 1:57 (set almost 5 years ago). Last year I ran the same course in 2:02 so I knocked off 11 minutes off that!

The hills from miles 8-11 nearly killed me. I was wiped by mile 9 and slowed a lot, but I still finished with a 8:21 overall pace. I was – and still am! – so giddy about my time.

1 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe 12/05/2011 at 8:26 am

Wow, nice work on your PR! I just bought a Garmin and plan on breaking it in tonight, but I have to say that it’s nice to run without being “plugged in” whether it’s a pacing thing or music… I’ve been doing it more often lately and enjoying it very much!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe´s last blog post ..Santa Claus is… RUNNING… to town!

2 Mrs Type A 12/05/2011 at 8:44 am

Congrats!! :)

3 Teri 12/05/2011 at 10:43 am

thanks girl!

4 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston 12/05/2011 at 8:47 am

Way to go Teri! That’s awesome and sounds like a fun race!
Katie @ Healthy Heddleston´s last blog post ..BTB Sunglasses Review

5 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List 12/05/2011 at 8:47 am

That’s an awesome race! PR’ing always gives you that little boost to make you want to see if you can beat it next time.
P.S. how do you like your Injinji’s?
Lindsay @ Lindsay’s List´s last blog post ..christmas may commence

6 hksedwick 12/05/2011 at 8:58 am

Congrats!!! That is a great time! I recently ran a PR and I was so psyched for the rest of the week. Good for you!

7 Heather (Heather's Dish) 12/05/2011 at 9:08 am

i love that it was so close to home…seriously, what better warm-up and cool down could one ask for? congrats on the time girl!
Heather (Heather’s Dish)´s last blog post ..Coconut Lime Slice & Bake Cookies

8 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon 12/05/2011 at 9:27 am

A PR?! How exciting! Congratulations!

9 odelsa 12/05/2011 at 10:21 am

Congrats girl!!! That is awesome!
By the way, How can you look so freaking cute after running a half? You make it look so effortless! LOVE IT!

10 Jen @ luckand funny 12/05/2011 at 10:24 am

Fantastic! The best times are so often unplanned. I need some of those socks — I’ve had cold toes in my VFFs lately!
Jen @ luckand funny´s last blog post ..Links I Like

11 stephanie 12/05/2011 at 10:42 am

congrats!! thats so awesome that you went in to have fun and came out with a PR. that just shows that you have so much in you and are capable of so much!
stephanie´s last blog post ..I’m a marathoner!!!

12 Teri 12/05/2011 at 10:43 am

thank you stephanie! that is such a sweet comment!!

13 Alycia 12/05/2011 at 11:32 am

Way to go! Sounds like a great day!

14 Clare @ Fitting It All In 12/05/2011 at 11:49 am

AMAZING! that’s such a great time!!

15 Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life 12/05/2011 at 11:54 am

Congrats on the great run-time! What a great accomplishment!
Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life´s last blog post ..A Christmas-Themed Weekend

16 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat 12/05/2011 at 12:17 pm

That’s an INSANE PR – I couldn’t run a 5k without prep or a working i-Pod. Amazing!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat´s last blog post ..Miscellaneous Monday

17 Faith 12/05/2011 at 12:25 pm

I thought number 10 was impresive…until I got to number 1! Damn girl! I love that you PR’d without “training”, your Garmin, or iPod.
Faith´s last blog post ..Wonton Soup

18 aubry 12/05/2011 at 1:00 pm

i’m channeling all of my fake-runner’s pride and sending it your way! yayayayayay!
we celebrate on the 21st.
aubry´s last blog post ..someone make a baby with me. right now!

19 Candice @ Sailing on Paper 12/05/2011 at 1:55 pm

Congratulations on a great race and PR! That is so impressive that you are running halfs with the Vibrams.
Candice @ Sailing on Paper´s last blog post ..Happy Monday!

20 Vatsan 12/05/2011 at 2:00 pm

Way to go Teri!
That PR is a great time! That too without a working iPod!

P.S: LOVE the Monkey Feet! :) I wants me one of those..
Vatsan´s last blog post ..Gym in T Nagar, Chennai

21 Alaina 12/05/2011 at 2:44 pm

Woo-hoo!! That is great!! Congratulations! I wish I had that kind of luck with races. ;-)
Alaina´s last blog post ..Half at the Hamptons Training–Week 1

22 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries 12/05/2011 at 3:03 pm

Wow, that is so awesome! Way to go!! Congrats! :)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries´s last blog post ..Four Fun Facts

23 Teri's Mom 12/05/2011 at 3:35 pm

Yay! No Garmin, no frustration. So proud of you.

24 Amy 12/05/2011 at 4:03 pm

Congratulations!! So happy for you! Sounds like such a fun race, and you manage to make Vibrams so cute (an almost impossible feat). :)

25 Sarah @ I Dream of Beets 12/05/2011 at 7:52 pm

Congratulations! Good work on the time! Any tips for getting rid of the massive calf pain? I’ve been running in my Vibrams exclusively for about 8 months now, and I still have significant calf pain regularly. I blubber to my boyfriend nightly, and he massages them. Knowing that this will not last forever, I am curious about any tips you have. I have shaved a TON of time off my race times running in the them. I’m planning on doing the Eugene Marathon this spring.

I love your blog!

Sarah

26 [New Balance] Nicole 12/05/2011 at 9:29 pm

Yay Congrats!! Sounds like a great run!
[New Balance] Nicole´s last blog post ..Fashion Sunday: Introduction

27 Carolynne 12/05/2011 at 10:03 pm

Congratulations on this race!! That’s amazing to be able to do this run without any prior training or planning. I admire that :) You ROCK.
Carolynne´s last blog post ..Holiday Baking No-No

28 Christy 12/05/2011 at 11:01 pm

Nice Work Teri – so impressed! I only dream of doing half marathons … ha! :) Don’t freeze out there … although I hate to tell you, it’s freezing here too. Take Care!

29 Lauren @ Sassy Molassy 12/06/2011 at 1:02 am

Wahoo! Nice work, Teri!

30 Pure2raw twins 12/06/2011 at 9:03 am

wahoo!!! awesome great job Teri!!! you look so cute in your outfit too!!!
Pure2raw twins´s last blog post ..cute finds

31 Kim 12/06/2011 at 11:28 am

It’s so funny that a race you didn’t train or plan for turned out to be so great! Awesome job.

32 Chase 12/06/2011 at 1:30 pm

Yep. I’m Teri. I just show up and PR. NBD.

:) Way to go girl!
Chase´s last blog post ..Life lessons from the BODYPUMP AIM

33 Courtney 12/06/2011 at 6:57 pm

AAAAHHH!!! what?? no fair! why did we even train last time? haha. You are such a brat! I take back my last comment about running when you come out here next…I’ll just slow you down ;)

Congrats girl, you’re a rockstar. Just wish I could have been there to cheer you on!
Courtney´s last blog post ..By the Pricking of my Thumbs…

34 Kiah 12/06/2011 at 8:54 pm

Congrats on the PR! I just ran a race with the goal to PR…when I didn’t I was so disappointed. A lot of my commenters encouraged me to let go of the time, and enjoy the race, and that my time would inevitably drop. This recap makes me believe they might be right :-)
Kiah´s last blog post ..warming up December

35 Mary Legare Whaley 12/06/2011 at 9:28 pm

That’s awesome! Your Mistletoe Half sounds like my Kiawah Island half last year. I decided on a whim a few days before to buy a race number off of a friend who couldn’t run last minute. The weather was horrific, 40° and pouring rain. I hadn’t run in 3 weeks, so I had one of those “what the heck am I doing?” moments at the starting line. I ended up with a good time, 1 hour 37 minutes and a few seconds. Not a PR, but I was surprised, considering that I was totally unprepared. I qualified my friend for Boston…good for her. I’m running the same race this Saturday! But I’m not as brave as you—Vibrams for long distances make me nervous! I think racing is most fun when you make light of it, no stress, no pressure. And I like medals and all race awards…a lot.
Mary Legare Whaley´s last blog post ..3 Down. 1 To Go.

36 Christie 12/07/2011 at 9:54 am

Way to PR- so awesome! If the weather is good again I might have to join you for this next year!

37 janetha 12/09/2011 at 4:48 pm

dude. go you! also, love that i just read two top ten posts in a row. YES.

38 Rachel 10/15/2012 at 10:14 am

Is this the half-marathon in Winston-Salem?

39 Teri 10/15/2012 at 1:42 pm