Hey hey friends! I just got home from the gym after a short but intense upper body free weights strength training circuit. I had to go work out some anxiety from the afternoon…I got some bad news today: apparently I’m color blind. hehe. I stumbled upon this article on the Huffington Post today and had to take the colorblindness test. It took maybe 5-10 minutes and it’s tougher than you’d think! You have to line up the color blocks by hue color.
(No, that is not how I arranged them. I’m not that colorblind. That’s how the test starts before you reorder them.)
The Bad News: If I’m reading these results correctly, apparently I have low color acuity. Ah man! 0 is perfect color acuity and I scored 105.
The Good News: someone else has confirmed that this salad is, indeed, colorful. My coworker Debbie gave me this recipe a couple years ago when I moved to Winston Salem and ever since she gave me this, she’s moved firmly into friend category.
Brown Rice & Black Bean Salad with Avocado & Cilantro
serves 2-4, depending on how hungry ya are
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, chilled
- 2-3 cups cooked black beans (if using canned, use two 15 oz cans, drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups seeded and diced tomato
- 1 bunch (about 5-7) sliced green onions, using both the white and green parts
- 2.5 T olive oil
- 2.5 T red wine vinegar
- 2.5 T water
- juice of one fresh lime
- 1 small diced jalapeno pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (more or less to taste, I love cilantro!)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I use vegan cheddar cheese, Daiya or omit cheese if I don’t have that on hand)
- In a large bowl combine chilled rice, beans, tomato, and green onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil and next 7 ingredients (through salt).
- Pour dressing mixture over the rice and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate salad for 30 minutes.
- Top with shredded cheese and avocado just before serving.