Sometimes you wake up on Christmas day and realize that while you planned a delicious dinner of gluten-free, dairy-free lasagna, you forgot to plan anything for breakfast. And maybe you head out to Whole Foods and/or Harris Teeter hoping that they’ll be open so you can buy some hopefully-in-existence gluten-free cinnamon rolls. And then you realize that’s ridiculous to hope that and go home expecting to live off Reese’s Christmas Bells until the lasagna is ready.*
And if any of that happens to you on any holiday (or just any weekend that you don’t want to go to the store), make this instead. You very likely have everything on hand and can sub it in any fruit or nuts you have on hand.
1. Just mix the dry ingredients and sprinkle extra fruit on top.
2. Then pour the liquid mixture on top.
3. Bake and smell the goodness.
4. Enjoy with a glass of champagne. Because champagne is totally acceptable on Christmas morning.
Easy GF Oatmeal Apple Breakfast Bake
Serves 4-6. Takes about 45 minute, start to finish.
Inspired By This Recipe
- 2 cups gluten-free old fashioned oats (or regular, if GF isn’t necessary)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 2/3 cup almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 egg (I haven’t tried it with a flax or chia egg, but if you did, this would be a vegan dish)
- 3 Tablespoons Earth Balance, melted (or butter)
- 1 Tablespoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and coat a 9×9 pan with non-stick spray.
2. Combine the oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, 1/2 c. of the pecans and half of the diced apple. Stir to combine and spread into the 9×9 greased pan. Sprinkle the remaining apple and pecans on top.
3. Whisk the maple syrup, milk, egg, earth balance and vanilla extract. Pour over the oatmeal mixture.
4. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown and the liquid has set.
5. Let sit for just a few minutes and serve warm. Sprinkle with a little extra salt on top. And with champagne, of course.
based on a true story.