Eating Meat Again + The Weekender

12/23/2012

Hi friends! Happy Christmas Eve Eve! I hope you are enjoying this weekend and not running around doing “tasks” but spending time with loved ones. I’m sad that I’m not flying to Utah this year for Christmas to see my family but I’m lucky to have wonderful friends in NC that feel almost like family. I’ve had a nice, relaxing weekend. I’ve had a couple yummy dinners, watch a couple movies, went to see a movie (“This is 40″ – hilarious) and practiced yoga two times.

Today I’m going to make Muddy Buddies for my neighbors and make a double batch of gluten-free, dairy free lasagna for the week. I’ve been experimenting with adding meat back into my diet. I’ve really been craving chicken lately which is VERY unusual for me and I even had a filet mignon on Friday night. (BTW, this recipe for pepper-crusted filet mignon make a restaurant-quality filet and it’s super easy.)

I originally stopped eating meat for social reasons (the way commercial meat is raised horrifies me) and then I noticed that my stomach stopped hurting all the time after I eat. Even after eliminating meat, I still had some gut issues and when I eliminated dairy, they all went away. So, I’m a little torn by this meat craving I’ve been experiencing lately. It’s bizarre – the thought of eating meat typically disgusts me. But, I’m a big believer in listening to my body so I’m going with this craving. I now have good sources of meat available to me and one of my friends who eats Paleo-style told me about supplements (betaine HCL and pepsin) that aid digestion of meat, so I’ve tried it a couple times in the past week.  I think the supplement is helping because I’m not having stomach pains like I used to with meat, but I’m still experiencing other digestive issues. So we’ll see.

Anyway, I totally wasn’t planning on going off on that tangent! I was planning on The Weekender so I’ll get to that. :)

The Weekender

• Automate your finances. I agree with all of these and do 95% of them. Booyah! (Side note: Ramit Sethi, the guy in that video and the blogger behind I Will Teach You To Be Rich, has fantastic financial tips and is really funny. It’s a great blog to check out. He has both free and paid resources.)
  • This is a beautiful farewell post from Kailey. [And to be honest, I've been thinking about "quitting" my blog too. I've had a lot of thoughts lately about this ol' blog of mine and where to take it… but that's another post for another day.] I had to pick one word to describe Kailey, I’d pick brave. She inspires me.

The Week in Fitness

S – 30 min elliptical

M – Run 4 miles

T – rest

W – Vigorous Vinyasa Flow

Th – 30 min elliptical + 20 upper body weights (my foot hurt when I tried to run – uh oh – so I ended up on the elliptical)

F – 30 min. elliptical

S – Power Flow Yoga

Have a wonderful Christmas! And if you celebrate something other than Christmas, I hope you enjoy your special time too. [If you do celebrate something else, please share in the comments! I love learning about other traditions, cultures, holidays, etc.]

1 Crystal 12/23/2012 at 2:08 pm

Merry Christmas! Xoxoxo

2 Suz 12/23/2012 at 2:34 pm

With all these new meat cravings, could it be possible that you’ve got a bun in the oven? ;) (That’s what happened to my friend. lol.)
Merry Christmas! <3

3 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/23/2012 at 5:11 pm

Haha! Most definitely not pregnant! :)

4 Suz 12/23/2012 at 6:33 pm

haha, darn! That could have been the new direction your blog could take. ;)
p.s. Don’t quit your blog! I’d miss you!

5 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/25/2012 at 6:52 pm

thanks Suz :)

6 Lauren 12/23/2012 at 9:20 pm

I started eating meat last year after being a 5 year vegetarian. I honestly think it was one of the best things I’ve done for my body. Definitely do what you feel is right and try to put aside what you think everyone else might think. I think my biggest problem was feeling like I was failing others by eating meat because that is how people saw me, as a vegetarian. But truth be told, no one really cared at all when I started eating chicken on my salads. :)
Lauren´s last blog post ..What I’m Loving: iPhone App Edition

7 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/25/2012 at 6:53 pm

did you have any digestion issues when you added meat back in? if so, any tips?

8 christina 12/23/2012 at 11:20 pm

woohooo glad you liked the post! thanks for the share! xo
christina´s last blog post ..The Friday Five 12.21.12

9 teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/27/2012 at 10:01 am

you betcha!

10 Cate 12/24/2012 at 6:43 pm

I haven’t eaten any meat in over two years and everyone told me I would crave it when I was pregnant (but I never did). I’ve thought about what I would do if I ever got a craving for it, and I just don’t think I can face the thought of eating it again (even if it’s humanely raised, it’s still takes a ton more resources and water and fossil fuels than beans).

I do think we need to do what’s right for our bodies, and I’m curious if eating meat regularly makes you feel better! It’s funny how some people say going vegan (which I’ll probably never do) makes them feel a ton better and other people say they need meat a few times a week to feel their best. We’re all different, I guess.
Cate´s last blog post ..Masala Red Lentils with Chard

11 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/25/2012 at 6:54 pm

you’re right – you hear stories on both spectrums! “being a vegan changed my life” and “going paleo with heavy meat intake changed my life.” guess we’ll see how it goes for me. I also think that people’s bodies need different things at different times of their lives.

12 Brynda Gutierrez 12/25/2012 at 12:38 pm

Terri,

I wanted to let you know – I love your blog. I don’t think people realize the amount of work that goes into producing a blog. Your insight and helpful information is very much appreciated; especially your review of classes. The review you did for hot yoga was priceless and really prepared me on what to expect. Regarding meat, I feel your pain. I was a vegetarian for twenty years, but as I got older I started to experience some health problems, very low energy, brittle hair and nails, etc. I try to concentrate to buying “humane” products, but I do feel twinges of guilt. I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

13 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/25/2012 at 6:56 pm

Hi Brynda – thank you so much for your thoughtful comment. I’m so glad I’ve been able to help you! It’s these types of comments that inspire me to keep going. :)

Glad I’m not the only one who struggles with the humane/dietary aspects of vegetarianism. It’s hard!

14 purelytwins 12/26/2012 at 9:23 am

glad you are listening to your body. we have added meat back into our diet and so far doing good. we still have to take digestive enzyme to help us, which we reminds us betaine HCL. we are still trying to figure out how meat our bodies can handle and not handle. a learning process for us still.
purelytwins´s last blog post ..Merry Christmas

15 teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/27/2012 at 10:03 am

does the betaine HCL help you? I haven’t noticed a difference yet (I’ve been taking it with any meals with meat for about a week now). Any other suggestions to help the meat digest? I’m LOVING eating meat but not loving how my intenstines are, ahem, holding onto things longer than they should.

16 Purelytwins 12/28/2012 at 8:50 am

We did not notice a huge difference either, we stopped taking it actually. We are trying now to increase our L-glutamine intake to help with our stomach lining and take digestive enzyme with any big meal. Hopefully over time it will help.

17 janetha 12/26/2012 at 2:33 pm

As much as I love dairy, I gave it up for my guts and it’s better. But I miss cheese! Anyway, that has nothing to do with meat but you made me think about it.. haha. Love you. Come to Utah soon AND see me while here.

18 teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/27/2012 at 10:04 am

sigh, i feel ya. i miss cheese too. i have found that goat cheese doesn’t bother me – only cow cheese. so perhaps give that a try. trader joe’s has TONS of awesome goat cheese that i didn’t even know existed: goat brie, goat cheddar, and of course goat gouda, chevre. delish.

love you! hope to see you in Jan. or Feb. if the f-ing Delta prices will drop. :)

19 Vanessa 12/27/2012 at 1:42 pm

Hello!

Thank you for your posts. I to have “digestive issues”, and it is not always pleasant to discuss. I eat meat, because I feel I need it, but stick to mostly chicken and fish, and steak when I really want it. I haven’t totally eliminated dairy, because I seem to be ok if I eat it in small amounts. Have you been checked by a GI doctor? I was diagnosed with IBS, but that seems to be VERY broad spectrum!!