My First CrossFit Class & Secret Santa Gifts!

12/13/2012

Good morning! This will be quick because I need to go blow-dry my hair. :)

1. I went to CrossFit Winston Salem for the very first time yesterday. My bestie Crystal who is a CrossFit junkie drove up from where she lives – about 45 minutes away – to accompany me to my first class because I was super intimidated. In short, I loved it. More later!

2. I had another headache yesterday. I turned to my Facebook peeps for advice and got a ton of helpful tips/potential causes. Multiple people said it could be related to gluten and/or dairy. I typically avoid those, but with all the Christmas treats around, I’ve been under the mentality of “Well, a little won’t upset my stomach.” But it very well could be causing headaches. So that’s more motivation to nix the work temptations.

3. I finally wore the Five Bamboo Travel Skirt that they sent me to try. It’s stretchy and cozy and the length can be easily adjusted from knee length to shorter. I opted for a little shorter with purple tights. :) It’s only $38 (and my blog readers get 20% off that price so that’s about $30 for you…it qualifies as a great gift!)

4. I’ve been enjoying my coffee black for a while since I don’t like most non-dairy creamers. But I found one I love: So Delicious Hazelnut Coconut Milk Creamer.

Coco milk creamer hazelnut

source

5. My friends and I drew names for Secret Santa and I got my gift this week. Minnetonka slippers! Loooove them! Thanks Gabi!

I was in desperate need of new slippers. I wear slippers every.single.day. These Loft slippers that my sister-in-law Ashly gave me have served me well.

I drew Crystal’s name and got her this tiny skull necklace. I love it but more importantly she loved it!

ok, gotta finish getting ready for work! have a great day!!

xo

1 Meghan 12/13/2012 at 8:59 am

Ahh! Love the skull necklace you got Crystal! It’s cute AND edgy. (Just like Crystal.) ;)

How did you pick your SS names since you don’t all live in the same place?
Meghan´s last blog post ..(Feels Like) Christmas in July

2 Crystal 12/13/2012 at 10:29 am

Awwww, thanks meg :) next time I’m in w-s we ARE hanging out!!

Anne to answer your question, there’s a lot of online services that will pick your secret Santa for you! We used ‘drawnames.com’ – it’s free, easy, and they promise not to spam you

3 eirinn 12/13/2012 at 9:04 am

I don’t mean to be a kill joy but I know you have had exercise related injuries in the past. Just an article I think you may want to read:

As an exercise science major I think crossfit has some good concepts but has a lot of work to do before it is actually good for people. Food for thought.

4 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/13/2012 at 11:00 pm

Thanks for looking out for me!

5 Claire @ Health Nut Claire 12/13/2012 at 9:35 am

Ah I just started at a box last week! CrossFit is addicting!!!
Claire @ Health Nut Claire´s last blog post ..What I Ate Wednesday

6 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/13/2012 at 11:01 pm

i can totally see how it could be addicting!

7 jessica 12/13/2012 at 10:39 am

must have necklace — where did you find that?

8 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/13/2012 at 11:02 pm

i bought it on etsy. here’s the link to the shop!

9 Kimberly 12/13/2012 at 11:46 am

Hey Teri, after I went to my first Cross Fit class, I had a horrible headache for the rest of the day because I wasn’t focusing on my breath enough throughout the workout. Maybe that contributed to the headache you had.

10 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/13/2012 at 11:03 pm

hmmm that’s weird! I had a headache before CrossFit though. But I think my facebook friends might have pin-pointed it – i completely stayed away from gluten and dairy today and didn’t have a headache!

11 Kimberly 12/14/2012 at 10:45 am

I’m glad that did the trick!

12 Addie Ohrn 12/13/2012 at 2:13 pm

I would like you write a blog post about getting re-motivated to work out. Wah wah! I keep telling myself I’m not motivated because it’s cold & it’s the holiday season BUT if I skip 1 day of working out, I’m totally in a funk & it takes forever to get back on track. Help me out girlfriend!

13 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/13/2012 at 11:04 pm

When i’m not motivated I go to yoga. Something about it seems relaxing and peaceful but it’s always a great workout too. so it tricks me into getting my groove back :) i’ll try to think of other tips and do a post on it too!

14 Katie 12/13/2012 at 3:39 pm

Yay, glad you liked crossfit! Of course you did, actually.

And I LOVE minnetonkas…we just got baby girl a pair, and there is nothing cuter.

15 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/13/2012 at 11:05 pm

stop it. they make baby minnetonkas??!!? too cute.

16 Annette @ FitnessPerks 12/13/2012 at 5:15 pm

Love the skirt!!
Annette @ FitnessPerks´s last blog post ..Holiday Gift Ideas {Foodie}

17 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/13/2012 at 11:07 pm

thanks! :)

18 Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run 12/13/2012 at 6:09 pm

Can’t wait to hear about your first CrossFit experience! Are you going back?

19 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/13/2012 at 11:06 pm

i definitely want to go back! But i’m not sure how to fit it in my budget since i already have a gym membership and a yoga membership!

20 Megan@eatmybeets 12/13/2012 at 8:17 pm

I really want to try Crossfit but also feel intimidated by it. haha Also, it’s probably out of my budget at this point :-P
Megan@eatmybeets´s last blog post ..Where to begin.

21 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/13/2012 at 11:07 pm

it’s kind of out of my budget too. i’m not willing to give up yoga to afford crossfit.

22 Miri 12/14/2012 at 2:34 pm

We pretty much see dairy and gluten allergies in everyone who gets food allergies at my office. Milk is for baby cows and gluten has been heavily genetically modified and once patients go off these foods they start feeling so much better.

U, me, meg, puppas, walk, soon. Yay!

23 Ashly 12/14/2012 at 9:19 pm

I kinda want those slippers! The new ones – not the old ones! I’m glad to see you have worn them out though!

24 Heather 12/15/2012 at 2:38 pm

Love your jacket that you wore with the awesome Five Bamboo skirt! Where is it from?

25 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/16/2012 at 8:09 pm

thanks! i got it at Nordstrom in the BP department about 4 years ago. :)

26 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) 12/16/2012 at 9:40 pm