Seriously Easy Bailey’s Brownies

Happy Tuesday! I slept through my workout this morning since I’m still catching up from not sleeping well over the weekend. And then this afternoon, I had a wicked headache at work. I’m drinking enough water which is usually one culprit for me, so I’m not sure what is causing it. I had a wicked headache yesterday afternoon too. It’s weird. I’m starting to wonder if it’s all the sugary goodness I’m partaking in at work. There is so much candy, cookies, truffles, peanuts, etc. that I’ve been munching on. ‘Tis the season.

Tonight I hosted book club, even though I didn’t finish the book we read – The Casual Vacancy, J.K. Rowling’s first adult novel. I’m about 80 pages in and really am not enjoying it.  I’ve heard it doesn’t get much better so I’m not sure I’ll plough through. I hate not finishing books but I also hate getting behind on the next book! For our holiday book club gathering, I made Bailey’s brownies. I posted about it on Instagram last night and a few people asked for the recipe. I don’t even know if you can call it a recipe but I’ll tell you how I did it.

I bought a brownie mix. A gluten-free version. (Bob’s Red Mill was on killer sale for $3; most GF mixes are $6-8. yikes!)

DSC 0011

I mixed it with all the other ingredients the mix called for. In this case, it was an egg, melted butter (I used melted Earth Balance) and warm water. BUT! I subbed 1/4 cup of the water for 1/4 cup of Bailey’s. [BTW, the mini Bailey’s is exactly 1/4 cup, just in case you don’t want to buy a larger bottle and have leftover Bailey’s. (hahaha. Silly.)]

DSC 0008

I mixed it all up until just combined and baked per the mix instructions. For this mix, it was 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  [Or just until a toothpick inserted came out clean – no longer or they’ll be dry. It was 21 minutes for me.] Perfectly moist, borderline too rich, just the way a brownie should be. With a hint of Bailey’s to make them special.

DSC 0018

I don’t handle dairy well but the small amount of dairy that the Bailey’s added didn’t cause problems for me. And that’s lucky because I have other problems to worry about. Like how my dog refuses to look at the camera. She seriously closed her eyes. What dog does that??

DSC 0023

Seriously Easy Bailey’s Brownies

• 1 brownie mix (I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free)
  • 1/4 c Bailey’s
  • any ingredients the brownie mix calls for (in my case, butter, eggs and warm water – I used Earth Balance in place of butter)

1. Follow the instructions on the brownie mix, but replace 1/4 c. of the water it calls for with 1/4 c. of Bailey’s. Bake as usual.

Ta-da! Bailey’s Brownies.

DSC 0020

Please tell me how you deal with all the holiday treats at the office. I don’t ever remember struggling this much in years past! I’m eating a loooot of junk. :/

Jordan Lynn (Ciao Cow) December 11, 2012 at

I’m kind of bummed to hear about the Casual Vacancy. I was looking forward to reading it after finals finished. And adding Bailey’s to brownies – sounds delicious! I also usually avoid dairy, but it tends to bother me less when it is baked into things.

Nicole December 11, 2012 at

Ummmm–I just eat them. Remorse and restriction are for January; December is for carpe diem!

Ashley December 11, 2012 at

I love this recipe! :) I also love Maizey. Dakota looks away allll of the time. She also falls asleep sitting up.

Anne December 12, 2012 at

I “try” to pick the ones I know I’ll enjoy most, ya know how that goes :)
I’m tucking that little tip about the mini Baileys being 1/4 cup away!

Lauren December 12, 2012 at

These sound perfect for a Christmas party I am going to this weekend! Love Baileys and need to think of more ways to incorporate it (other than straight up! :)

Emily December 12, 2012 at

These brownies sound amazing! Our boxer always looks away too- he’s super camera shy! I usually try to have fruit to snack on at my desk…this doesn’t always work but it helps!

Chantelle @ A Tale of Two Pretties December 13, 2012 at

You are brilliant. Simply brilliant. These look incredible–need to make these ASAP.

Lisa December 13, 2012 at

The last 100 pages or so are the best, but I’m not sure it’s worth plugging through for.

Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 1, 2013 at

I took your advice and stopped plugging through the Casual Vacancy. There are just too many other good books out there to waste my time on one I don’t enjoy!

purelytwins December 13, 2012 at

our mom would be all over these brownies! she loves her baileys!!!

Michelle M. December 13, 2012 at

I hear ya loud and clear about the treats at work! I’m a teacher, so it seems like everyday some thoughtful parent has brought in something decadent for us. Yesterday, I literally felt sick from eating too much. Today’s plan of attack- lots of high fiber and protein treats to keep me too full to want the unhealthy junk. And it is always worthwhile to ask yourself, “Do I really want this cookie? Am I going to be glad I ate in in three hours, or regret it shamefully?”

Lea December 13, 2012 at

Those brownies sound amazing! I usually replace the water in brownie mix with coffee but Bailey’s sounds more fun :)

Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 1, 2013 at

replacing water with coffee is a GREAT idea!!! I need to try that.

Anna December 18, 2012 at

These sound amazing! I can’t wait to give them a try. Yum!

Christine Whittington December 31, 2012 at

I made these for a post-Christmas get-together with friends in Denver, CO. They were amazing. I don’t think I need ever again to look for another brownie recipe! I did not make any high altitude adjustments and they were fine as is. I did add dark chocolate chips (per the Bob’s recipe on the package).

Thank you!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 1, 2013 at

I’m so glad you liked them!