Beating the New Year’s Crowd with a 30 Minute Treadmill Workout

01/14/2013

Happy Monday! I hope your week is off to a great start. I had a great day at work and then headed to the gym for a quick run. Because of the New Year’s crowds, they are enforcing a 30 minute limit on cardio machines so those waiting get a turn. When a treadmill opened up after waiting 5 minutes, I knew I’d have to push myself to get in a good workout in a short amount of time.

I turned on Pandora (on my iPhone) to the Pop Fitness station and kicked up the speed on the treadmill. I warmed up for 3 minutes and then adjusted my pace according to the music.

During the verses, I ran an 8:00 – 8:20 minute/mile pace and then on the chorus and bridges I ran closer to my 5K pace or below (6:40 – 7:15 min/mile pace). I was able to get in 4 mies in 30 minutes and got a great interval workout. Plus, the time flew by. Give it a try!  (Oh hey, i’m a poet…;)

Do the crowds at the gym after New Year’s annoy you or inspire you?

1 BroccoliHut 01/14/2013 at 10:13 pm

I was all supportive of the resolutioners at the beginning of the month, but now that they’re interfering with my ability to use machines, I’m getting a little annoyed. Is it February yet??

2 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 01/16/2013 at 8:43 pm

does your gym enforce a time limit? our does this time of year and I can usually get a machine within 5 minutes.

3 Tamie 01/15/2013 at 12:58 am

I am more annoyed by the lack of gym etiquette than them being new

4 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 01/16/2013 at 8:42 pm

agreed :)

5 Mrs Type A 01/15/2013 at 9:01 am

I wrote a post on this last year, actually. I think people should not be so hard on the resolutioners. I was there, once! And I’ve stuck with it for over two years. Not everyone will quit by February– some people truly will make a life change– and I think everyone who cares about fitness and health should be happy for those trying to make a positive change in their life!
Mrs Type A´s last blog post ..my golden globes best dressed

6 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 01/16/2013 at 8:41 pm

ditto jill! miss ya!

7 Lindsay 01/15/2013 at 1:47 pm

I went to the gym on New Year’s Day and was so surprised at how many people where there… as in maybe 5?! Then, when I came back two days later I was lucky to get a treadmill. I’m inspired that so many people are starting a fitness regimen, but I get frustrated when the only machines available are the broken ones.
Lindsay´s last blog post ..My Love Affair with Running

8 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 01/16/2013 at 8:41 pm

that is frustrating. i think gyms need to be super conscious of broken equipment this time of year and make sure they are all running!

9 Holly 01/16/2013 at 1:55 pm

Maybe I don’t have a heart, but the new year’s resoluters drive me crazy. Get off my machine already!

10 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 01/16/2013 at 8:39 pm

haha you’re funny. i know the truth about you and you have the BIGGEST heart. <3

11 Hally 01/16/2013 at 4:39 pm

I’m willing to bet most of us were resolution-ers once. I think anyone who is mean to them needs a serious reality check. We need to remember they are there for alot of the same reasons we are. :)

12 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 01/16/2013 at 8:40 pm