Coffee Protein Breakfast Shake

I have a confession: I’ve been struggling with breakfast lately. [Was that a lame confession? Sorry. :)] My steel cut oats haven’t been filling me up and I’m sick of eggs. So when my friend Crystal told me about her little coffee protein breakfast shake, I had to try it. (Thanks Crystal!)

2013 01 13 10 37 05

Coffee Protein Breakfast Shake

• 1 cup brewed coffee, slightly cooled if you have time.
  • 1/2 c – 1 c milk of choice (add more or less depending on how thick you like your shake)
  • 1 scoop protein powder (I’ve been using Garden of Life RAW protein lately. It’s meh.)
  • ice, if desired (I usually leave out the ice because I never wait for my coffee to cool, so it’s kind of a luke-warm mixture. It doesn’t bother me!)

Combine in a blender and drink while doing your make-up and/or while blow-drying your hair while reading a book.

[I’m seriously turning into my mom. She always read a book while blowdrying her hair and now I do it too. I also said “Oh heavens” today, just like her. It totally cracks me up. Good thing I really like my mom! :)]

What’s your favorite breakfast these days? Links to recipes/blog posts welcome! :)

Are you turning into your mom?

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance January 22, 2013 at

Ha, ha . . . I’m totally turning into my Mom! I don’t think there’s any way around it. And that’s okay. :)

Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 23, 2013 at

glad it’s not just me! :)

broccolihut January 22, 2013 at

This sounds delicious! I’m on an iced coffee kick these days, so this will definitely enter my rotation.
My breakfast this morning was pretty good–scrambled egg whites with avocado!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 23, 2013 at

oooh that sounds awesome! I think an avocado could help rekindle my love for eggs. Thanks for the suggestion!

Ashley January 22, 2013 at

I love that protein powder!!! haha :) It’s pretty bland but I’ve gotten really used to it and I don’t think it’s chalky, unlike Sunwarrior. Great idea for this smoothie! Might have to try it out this week. You should try microwave buckwheat bakes for a super filling + quick breakfast! Or, you can make a handful of the oven-bakes at night then store them in the fridge for the week.

Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 23, 2013 at

Maybe i’ll get used to it! It is bland and it doesn’t dissolve very well. Glad to hear your thoughts on SunWarrior – I was thinking of trying that next. Now I won’t :)

OMG how did i forget about microwave bake cakes??!! (I could never find buckwheat so always had to do oatmeal.) I’m going to start making those again. Thanks friend! And thanks for the super entertaining text tonight! hahahahhahaa

Christie January 22, 2013 at

My confession: i’ve never EVER tried protein powder, shakes, nada. I’d like to though.

My breakfast go to lately has been green monsters. My usual mixture is spinach, blueberries, 1/2 a frozen banana, milk, vanilla yogurt, & ice. It’s fairly quick and my little girl likes them too, so it’s a great way for me to sneak in some veggies for her. It also benefits my son, who I can breastfeed while drinking my breakfast!

I, too, am becoming my mother. My daughter even came up to me this morning and said Grandma I want… I looked at her like she was nuts 😉

Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 23, 2013 at

wait, what?? That is crazy to me! It’s probably healthier. I mean, really – protein powder is creepy. What is this powder I’m inhaling that is full of protein and how did they get it in that form?

I need to get back in the green monster habit. They provide so much energy. And it totally weirds me out that your daughter is old enough to talk! I remember reading about when you got pregnant with her! times flies :)

Christie January 23, 2013 at

Once the weather warms up I am sure you’ll get back into the GM mode, seems we all do!

Isn’t it crazy that Riley is already 2?!?! It seems like so long ago that we first connected. To think I already have a 2nd kid- makes me feel so old!

P.S. I’ve drooled over all your recent winery posts. Definitely need to get around the NC locations once the weather warms up.

Lauren January 22, 2013 at

I’ve been sticking with hot oats on these brutally cold winter mornings. I usually switch between those and yogurt but anything cold right now is appalling. I’ll bank this one for the summer. :)

olviya@servingsisters.com January 22, 2013 at

I am a copy of my mom too!..and I am 100% okay with it. She is amazing:)

I also got into an oatmeal rut this winter. Lately I’ve been enjoying my almond meal pancakes. They take some extra time, but sure are delicious.

Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 23, 2013 at

those pancakes sound amazing!!! thanks for sharing the link!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy January 23, 2013 at

Yum, that sounds great. And I think it’s okay to become your mom in some ways…

I like to switch it up daily with bkfst, but some of the things I’ve been eating are: semi overnight oats (soaked for an hour this morning) w/ raspberries, chia seeds, cinnamon and almond butter, eggs and toast, plain cereal w/ almond milk, berries and a little nut butter on top and occasionally hot oats.

Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 23, 2013 at

hmmm maybe I just need to get some better toppings for my oatmeal and cereal and I’ll like it better. everything you typed sounds awesome!

Joy January 23, 2013 at

There are so many parts of my mom I have – its funny

My current favorite breakfast is steamed broccoli (I’m odd and I know it)

Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 23, 2013 at

hahahaha. that is totally odd. i love it. i went through a phase where I ate a spinach salad with hemp seeds and an egg for breakfast. that could also be labeled as weird :)

Jessica J January 23, 2013 at

I’m perplexed as to how you read a book while blow drying your hair. How do you keep your place?

Every now and then I find myself making a face that I know my mom makes too. It really freaks me out.

Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 23, 2013 at

like keep the book open or just keep my spot on the page? I have a kindle (but when I’ve used a regular book, I would put a brush on it. ha!) and I don’t have a problem finding my spot after I look back down. :)

Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans January 23, 2013 at

That smoothie looks delicious! You gotta love when you can get your breakfast and caffeine fix in the same glass!
Lately for breakfast I’ve been eating 2 baked sweet potatoes with coconut oil and cinnamon, it sounds a little weird but my stomach seems to really like it.
The older I get the more I see the similarities between me and my mom, which I’m okay with because she’s a pretty awesome lady!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 23, 2013 at

mmmm that actually sounds really good for breakfast!

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction January 23, 2013 at

I loveee breakfast…usually I’ll have Greek yogurt with fix-ins, but lately I am all about oatmeal at peanut butter!

Pam E January 23, 2013 at

Vans makes a frozen waffle that has protein in it. Two waffles have 10 grams! AND, they are delicious. All four of my kids like them. I toast two and make a sandwich with almond butter and chia strawberry jelly – a recipe that I read in a magazine somewhere where you soak chia seeds and a tablespoon of water overnight and they turn to a gelatin like substance. I mash in three frozen strawberries that I have thawed in the refrigerator. Magic. . . it is just like being a kid again and I can eat it on the run.

Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 23, 2013 at

ooooooh that chia strawberry jelly sounds awesome! I’m going to buy strawberries tomorrow so I can try it!

Miriam@Bellaspire January 23, 2013 at

I love Vega One vanilla chai!! I make it with just water and ice and it’s great. It’s pretty low calorie so it’s great with some fruit and/or nuts. I’ve been making breakfast burritos lately- corn tortilla (G-free) with candian bacon, egg whites, and a sprinkle of black beans.

Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 23, 2013 at

I haven’t had that Vega One in forever but I have a HUGE container in my fridge! I need to bust it out.

Jameil January 23, 2013 at

My mother is the queen of policing everyone’s winter clothing. Watching the inauguration, I instantly wondered why M.Obama’s brother didn’t have anything on his very bald, very bare head and ears. I was cracking up! My mother’s obsession with hats and gloves is legend.wait for it.DARY. I also ask many questions in a row without necessarily waiting for the answers. I hate that! I’ll do better. And I’m adding “oh heavens!” to my lexicon! :)

Teri [a foodie stays fit] February 7, 2013 at

haha!

Chelsea January 23, 2013 at

I like breakfast food for breakfast, but I’m with you…. One can only eat so many eggs. I love breakfast I can grab and eat once I get to work. I really love love love these breakfast meatballs from PaleOMG http://paleomg.com/breakfast-bacon-maple-meatballs/

Teri [a foodie stays fit] February 7, 2013 at

I can’t wait to make these – thanks for sharing!

Lisa @ Cook Eat Paleo February 7, 2013 at

My favorite breakfast is eggs with leftover roasted veggies – I always make extra so I can have them for breakfast. But if I’m in a hurry, I make an espresso protein shake that’s similar to yours. I use cashew milk since I can’t do dairy and add a little frozen banana for sweetness. Here’s the recipe http://cookeatpaleo.com/espresso-protein-shake/

Teri [a foodie stays fit] February 7, 2013 at

I can’t do dairy either but I’ve never tried cashew milk. I’ve tried flax, hemp, almond and soy and right now I’m on a flax kick. Do you like cashew better than all those?

Lisa @ Cook Eat Paleo February 8, 2013 at

I haven’t tried flax or hemp, but I like cashew milk better than almond and soy. It has a milder flavor and is easy to make at home. I also like that if I make it there are no gums or starches – just cashews, water, honey and vanilla. Here’s a link to how to make it http://cookeatpaleo.com/dairy-free-homemade-cashew-milk/

Katie April 3, 2014 at

You should try using http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/complete-protein-coffee.html for an extra coffee hit! I use this, along with chcolate protein power to create iced mochas for a treat! They taste great and keep me full for ages – no mid morning snacking!