Paleo Beef & Cilantro Lime Chili

01/24/2013

It’s almost the weekend. And it is going to be a COLD weekend here. It’s already chilled down a lot. Like hurts-your-bones cold and makes you say 4-letter-words cold. The temps aren’t that low so I think there must be humidity in the air that’s making it feel so cold. So. To combat the chill, I’m eating lots of chili. You should too.
DSC 0319

Paleo Beef & Cilantro Lime Chili
serves 6-8
  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
  • 32 oz beef stock
  • 28 oz crushed tomatoes
  • 4 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 heaping tablespoon cumin
  • 1 lime
  • salt to taste
  • bunch of cilantro
  • avocado, diced

1. In a large pot, saute beef and onion together until browned and beef is nearly cooked through.

2. Drain the excess fat from the cooked ground beef/onion mixture and return to the pan. Add the mushrooms and sauté for a few more minutes.

3. Add the beef stock, tomatoes, chili powder & cumin.

4. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. (I let mine go for 1.5 hours.) If it begins to look too thick, just add a little water.

5. Just before serving, season each bowl with salt, top with cilantro and a big squeeze of lime. And avocado if you have it. I didn’t have any but I just felt like I should tell you to add it. :)

Approximate Nutrition Stats (based on 7 servings): 213 calories, 10 grams fat, 19 grams protein

In other news, Maizey had to get sedated for an exam at the vet yesterday. Everything is fine, but she is supposed to be on bed rest – no walks, no playing, no jumping, no fun – for two weeks because of a muscle strain. Haahhahahaa. oooookay. Boxers don’t do well on bed rest. She’s already going a bit crazy with pent up energy. But yesterday, she had no energy. Just droopy, woozy drug face. So so funny. Poor pup!

She kept swaying and then collapsing into a sleep. hahahahaha.

Have a great weekend!

1 Crystal 01/24/2013 at 8:54 pm

Now THAT looks delicious :)

2 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 01/24/2013 at 9:08 pm

you know that you got me obsessed with paleo. and you (and HC ;) made my paleo life possible with the supplement recommendations. and I’m loving it! thanks! :)

3 Crystal 01/24/2013 at 9:10 pm

If spreading the joy of bacon was the only thing I contributed to this world, I think I’d be okay with it

4 olviya@servingsisters.com 01/25/2013 at 2:10 am

Mmm your chili looks delicious! I love the simple/easy ingredients! Do you think it would taste as good made in a crock-pot?
olviya@servingsisters.com´s last blog post ..Trust Fall

5 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 01/25/2013 at 12:37 pm

Definitely! Just brown the meat and onions in a pan before transferring it to a crockpot to simmer. :)

6 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance 01/25/2013 at 5:14 am

Love the idea of adding cilantro and lime for a fun twist on chili! Especially because mexican food is my favorite, so those flavors are always welcome. I’ll have to give this a try!
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance´s last blog post ..Baked Sprouted Tofu

7 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 01/25/2013 at 12:38 pm

I hope you like it! I was a little nervous about the cilantro and lime but I’m obsessed with those flavors, so I figured, why not?? And it worked! :)

8 Emily 01/25/2013 at 10:45 am

This is just the thing for this weekend. It is FREEZING here in NYC, and just looking at that photo is warming me up a few degrees. Thanks for the great recipe!
Emily´s last blog post ..Self-Health Revolution Recipe: Mega Trail Mix

9 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 01/25/2013 at 12:37 pm

yay! glad to help warm you. :) This cold weather is brutal!

10 Lindsay 01/25/2013 at 1:34 pm

Call me mean, but I think it’s hilarious when my dog gets sedated. He runs into doors and walls and I can’t help but laugh. He usually only gets sedated in relation to when I’ve just paid a huge vet bill, so I need the laugh.

11 Crystal 01/25/2013 at 1:51 pm

Hahahaha truth

12 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 01/28/2013 at 8:53 pm

omg hahahahaha. you are totally allowed to laugh. vet bills are so painful. I just had to pay Maizey’s today. ugh.

13 Purelytwins 01/25/2013 at 8:14 pm

now this sounds amazing!! perfect for cold days

14 BroccoliHut 01/27/2013 at 3:56 pm

Haha! These pictures of Maizey remind me of when my sister’s dog Boxer (Greta) was spayed, and I was designated as dog sitter for the day while my sister went to work. Greta had that same woozy expression!

15 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 01/28/2013 at 8:52 pm

Greta: AWESOME name!

16 Laura 01/27/2013 at 10:22 pm

I made this for dinner tonight and it was great! I’ve been making the same paleo chili over and over lately and the lime and cilantro were a refreshing change! Thanks!

17 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 01/28/2013 at 8:52 pm

I’m so glad you liked it! thanks for letting me know! :D

18 Paleo Suz 02/03/2013 at 8:14 pm

That looks delicious – loving the inclusion of avocado!

19 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 02/11/2013 at 9:00 pm

avocado makes everything better :)

20 Amanda 02/11/2013 at 8:39 pm

I just made this, following the recipe exactly + one can of hot Rotel, salt, and topping with green onions. Very good and super simple. Thanks!!

21 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 02/11/2013 at 8:59 pm

those sound like great additions – I’ll have to try that. Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for commenting! :)