The Weekender

01/06/2013

Hi friends! Happy Sunday! I hope you had a great weekend – mine has been great so far! (more on that tomorrow!) Right now, I’m sitting here with black coffee and grapefruit as my (starter) breakfast. [I don't like to eat a big breakfast before yoga and I'm heading to class soon.] My neighbor’s kids live in Florida and when he was down there last week, he picked a ton off a tree down there and brought them to me. How sweet! Both my neighbor and the freshly-picked grapefruits.

DSC 0228 NEF 001

And why yes, I do have wood panelling in my kitchen. Don’t be jealous. And why yes, that is an orchid that I cut the tall stick off of when the flower fell off…I didn’t know you were supposed to leave that part. Oops. (I still water it with ice cubes though, hoping it will make a comeback.) And why, yes, I do use Wine Spectator as my candle coaster. 99% of the time, I only look at the pictures in that magazine. I’m a wine poser.

Maizey is laying on the couch, having a hard life. I hope you appreciate this picture. I ruined her life even more by taking it. Please note her crossed feet.

DSC 0235 NEF 001

OK, time for my favorite links from the week and then time for yoga!

The Weekender

• My lovely friend Meg just published a book on overcoming emotional eating and yo-yo dieting - Inside Out Weight Management. I was lucky enough to read a bit of it when she was writing it (and am now reading the full thing) and truly, truly it’s a great book. And I read of a lot of these types of books when I struggled with emotional eating in the past.

The Week in Fitness

S – 30 min. elliptical

M – 30 min. circuit at home

T – rest

W – 4 mile treadmill run (with intervals

Th – 30 minutes weights + 3 rounds of box jumps

F – rest

S – 35 min stairclimber

Do you have  a green thumb or a brown thumb? I have a dark, dingy brown thumb. I have killed airplants, which are apparently the easiest plant to keep and only got 3 mini tomatoes off my two plants last year. Sigh.

Do you put salt or sugar on your grapefruit? If they are too sour, I’ve always put salt on them. Give it a try. I swear it’s so good!

1 janetha 01/06/2013 at 12:04 pm

wow i had no idea meg wrote a book! so cool!
janetha´s last blog post ..ask me anything (part 11).

2 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 01/06/2013 at 12:18 pm

i know! she’s awesome.

3 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance 01/06/2013 at 12:10 pm

I’ve never heard of putting salt on a grapefruit! So interesting! I love broiling grapefruit–it’s become my favorite way to eat them.
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance´s last blog post ..Friday’s Five

4 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 01/06/2013 at 12:18 pm

oooh I haven’t broiled grapefruit in ages! I’ve got to do that! thanks!

5 Kay @ goaloflosing 01/06/2013 at 12:15 pm

That photo of Maizey reminds me so much of my dogs! They have also mastered that pathetic look on their face. It just makes you want to scoop them up and snuggle them all day, doesn’t it? :)

6 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 01/06/2013 at 12:16 pm

7 Crystal 01/06/2013 at 12:25 pm

Wow, totally trying the salt on grapefruit thing! I have a bunch of grapefruits that look JUST like yours :) :) LOVE that pic of Maizey-girl.

8 Crystal 01/06/2013 at 12:42 pm

Update: well, that was… interesting!! I think I’ll stick to stevia on my grapefruit! Although the one I just cut open didn’t really need either- tasty on its own

9 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 01/06/2013 at 12:47 pm

hahahhaa.

10 Meghan 01/06/2013 at 1:02 pm

LOL. I love Crystal’s real time update. My Dad always did salt on his grapefruit too! (and on his cantaloupe… weird.)

Hey look, that’s my book!! Thanks for the shout-out. Can’t wait to her what you think when you’re done!

That travel link is giving me wanderlust… good thing I have a few trips planned this year. Too bad none of them involve a passport stamp though!
Meghan´s last blog post ..Bo Eats Peas

11 Trisha 01/06/2013 at 3:13 pm

I’ve never been able to stomach grapefruit, even with 4 cups of sugar on top, but my dad is all about salting his fruit so I’ll ya’lls word for it. ;)

Sure those places might be wallet-friendly once you get there, but what about the flights?! I think my definition of budget travel might be similar to yours.

I think I have a pretty green thuymb…and a good ability to pick out the lowest of low maintenance plants. :)
Trisha´s last blog post ..Twelve Things

12 Teri's Mom 01/06/2013 at 3:54 pm

Salt on grapefruit?? You are your father’s daughter. But the brown thumb is from your mom.

13 Lauren 01/06/2013 at 7:13 pm

I love grapefruit, but I also love them because of their bitterness. Weird, I know. Glad you had a wonderful weekend love!
Lauren´s last blog post ..Friday Confessions

14 Fitsouffle 01/07/2013 at 9:41 am

Hey Teri! Love your 30 minute in home circuit workout. I have a good one that I think you would like. Enjoy! http://fitsouffle.com/home/30-minute-cardio
Fitsouffle´s last blog post ..Moose’s Mug Monday.