Davesté Day with Lori & Michelle

03/25/2013

Happy Monday folks. I spent the day doing my civic duty – I got called for jury duty. I was thisclose to getting assigned as a juror but alas, my straw was not drawn. I’m not gonna complain about that! Even though I was pretty intrigued by the whole process since it was my first time being summoned for jury duty, I don’t particularly want to be crammed into a windowless room with a ton of people who are snoring (seriously) and without wifi (the horror!) any time again soon. :)

Anyway, on to a more fun topic: my weekend outing with Lori & Michelle of the wonderful blog Purely Twins! We met up at Davesté Vineyard, a little vineyard (4 acres) in Troutman, NC. It’s owned by a couple, Dave and Ester (hence, Davesté get it?), who have been married more than 40 years. They built the tasting room just a few years ago and it was really quaint. I could easily picture myself  spending a whole afternoon rocking on that porch with a bottle of wine and a good friend.

DSC 0015 NEF

Or on a hot day, spending some time in the shade with a group of friends having a picnic at one of their many tables.

DSC 0013 NEF

But this Saturday, we headed inside for a tasting. It was pretty overcast and chilly when we arrived, which was a bummer considering the outdoor music event Davesté had planned. But, they just moved the singer, Clyde Derberry, inside (I really liked his music – he had a nice voice and did some great covers.). We tasted 3 whites and 3 reds and settled on a bottle of Chardonnay to share.

DSC 0002 NEF

We chatted away and got through about 1/2 our bottle when we noticed the sun had come out. So we quickly made our way to their patio and continued the conversation with the sound of a small waterfall behind us.

DSC 0010 NEF

I have loved getting to know these ladies better. We met through blogging a couple years ago and have stayed in touch. [Our last outing was at a wine festival - we love catching up over wine. ;) ] Michelle and Lori have so much passion and knowledge about food and fitness and have been pretty instrumental in a lot of the things I’ve tried in my health journey. On top of that, they are just so nice and fun. I’m lucky to have them as friends!

I had packed some paleo blueberry muffins and some tangerines, so we munched on those while enjoying a bit of sunshine and lots of girl talk. (I stole that phrase from their post about our outing – it’s a perfect description of our convo. Sooo many great topics! :D)

DSC 0008 NEF

It was a perfect day. Can’t wait until next time ladies! <3

DSC 0004 NEF

You can read their blog post and see more pictures from our day here. [Side note: Looking at their pictures reminds me how much I want an iPhone 5 for the camera alone! Sheesh! Their phone took better pictures than my Nikon D40, I swear. ]

Do you have a “real” camera or do you just use your phone camera for everything? I use my iPhone 4 a lot but seriously, it takes pretty crappy pictures. I feel bad for you guys sometimes when I post them. So, I’ve been trying to use my DSLR more often but it can be a pain to lug around. I’d like something that is smaller but still takes really great pictures. Any ideas?

1 Erin 03/25/2013 at 6:35 pm

This vineyard is so cute! Texas’ hill country has great vineyards I’m so ready for spring to take trips out there for some tastings. I wish I had a tip for you on the smaller camera I continue to just use my iphone 4s for convenience.
Erin´s last blog post ..Marriage, Work and Fitness

2 BroccoliHut 03/25/2013 at 6:43 pm

I’ve never been called for jury duty, and now I’m a little scared if it does happen–NO WIFI?!
I take lots of pictures with my phone (iPhone 4s), but blog photos are all taken with my camera. I have a Canon PowerShot ELPH 300HS, and it serves me well. I’ve had 3 PowerShots now, so I’ll be interested in reading others’ recommendations–I’m ready for a change!
BroccoliHut´s last blog post ..The Breakfast Equation

3 Dee 03/25/2013 at 6:47 pm

I have three cameras — a Nikon point and shoot, and old Canon SX20IS and a new Nikon D5100. The D5100 is great for action shots, but I do better on stills with the old Canon.

My Android phone does well with stills too, but I think the Canon has it beat by a little bit.

Your pictures look GREAT!
Dee´s last blog post ..Monday, Monday …………

4 Meg 03/25/2013 at 8:17 pm

I’ve been looking at the new Sony that’s a DSLR the size of a point and shoot (with lens options that make it bigger) but it’s wayyyy out of my price point now. Hoping as the technology improves it will come down in price. This is why I’m not an early adopter! I use my DSLR at home but my iPhone out and about.

Where is your shirt from? I love it.
Meg´s last blog post ..Stories

5 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 03/27/2013 at 7:19 pm

oooh what camera is it?

my shirt is from the Mast General Store. Seriously. :) impressive right?

6 Meghan 03/28/2013 at 9:20 am

Seriously?? Very impressive! I didn’t know they sold clothes.

The camera is the Sony NEX. (I think there’s an NEX5, NEX6, NEX7). I also heard Canon is coming out with a true DSLR that is supposed to be 25% smaller and lighter than their current DSLR models.
Meghan´s last blog post ..Stories

7 Trisha 03/25/2013 at 8:33 pm

I’m also in the market for a new camera. My Samsung Galaxy 3 actually takes pretty good shots, but I’m tired of not having a real camera since mine broke down on vacay. I’m hoping to get a DSLR, but I agree that I want something that’s not a huge pain to lug around. Looking forward to seeing some suggestions here!
Also, I’m a total weirdo in that I can’t wait to be summoned to jury duty some day!
Trisha´s last blog post ..Pretty Productive

8 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles 03/26/2013 at 12:14 am

I have a Canon G10 but love love love my iPhone 5 camera!
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles´s last blog post ..Balsamic-Glazed Pork Chops

9 RLR at Mom's Magic 03/26/2013 at 4:47 pm

I don’t lug around my DSLR, and I think it’s kind of a pain to upload the pics to upload to FB and blog. If I’m going to do that, I use my iPhone – so sometimes I take pics with both.

10 purelytwins 03/26/2013 at 8:00 pm

awww your camera took great pictures!!!
thanks again for hanging out with us, seriously we could have talked with you for hours!!! next time we will have to plan dinner as well as wine hehe

love ya girl! can’t wait to hang out again!!
purelytwins´s last blog post ..learning more about carbs, hormones, and acne