Gluten-Free Buckwheat Coconut Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies

03/20/2013

I was craving cookies the other day. Bad. I could either (a) drive to Trader Joe’s to buy their gluten-free Snickerdoodles or (b) make my own cookies. Those TJ Snickerdoodles are reeeeallly good, but on this particular day, I chose to make my own cookies. It was a good decision.
DSC 0046 NEF

Gluten-Free Buckwheat Coconut Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies
Makes 10-12 cookies
  • 1/2 cup + 2 T gluten-free rolled oats
  • 2 T buckwheat flour (despite its name that suggests otherwise, this actually is gluten-free)
  • 1 tsp unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp demerara sugar
  • 2 tbsp chocolate chips
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1-2 tbsp almond milk

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

2. Blend the oats, buckwheat flour, coconut flakes, baking soda, salt and sugars in a food processor (or a blender if you have one that actually, you know, blends. Mine does not. Hold please, while I go throw it away.)

3. Pour into a medium bowl and add the coconut oil and milk and stir until just combined. Squeeze the dough little with your finger and if it seems like it won’t hold together like a good little dough with a little pressing, add 1 more Tablespoon of milk and combine. Stir in the chocolate chips.

4. Using a small ice cream scoop or your hands, shape into balls and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. (Or just put down a Silpat.)

5. Bake for 6 minutes, or just until the edges start to look a slightly crisp. Let cool on the rack for 2-3 minutes until they are firm enough to be removed with a spatula and placed on a cooling sheet.

Note: the buckwheat gives these a really rich, deep flavor, which I love. If it’s too much for you, you can probably just do all oats.

What’s your favorite store-bought cookie?

1 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance 03/20/2013 at 7:48 pm

I love smaller batch healthy cookie recipes. I’m pinning this to try later–thanks!! :)
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance´s last blog post ..KISS: Curried Quinoa with Roasted Potatoes and Asparagus

2 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate 03/20/2013 at 8:32 pm

These look absolutely amazing! And I just so happen to have all the ingredients in my pantry, what a coincidence…these will definitely have to be made the next time I actually have time to turn my oven on.
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate´s last blog post ..WIAW: Grazing and Kitchen Creativity

3 Katie 03/20/2013 at 9:23 pm

Necessity breeds invention…or something like that. This is the perfect because I have all the ingredients on hand. Love it when that happens!
Katie´s last blog post ..Adrienne Bren [22 months]

4 Holly Waterfall 03/20/2013 at 11:02 pm

I think these look SOOO good and healthy, in the best of ways! I’ve never tried buckwheat flour, but I’m really interested in it!
Holly Waterfall´s last blog post ..6 Things I Have Learned Since Recovery

5 Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run 03/21/2013 at 10:03 am

Oh, yum! Did you grind your own buckwheat flour or purchase some?
Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run´s last blog post ..Tuesday Tidbits | 3.19.13

6 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 03/22/2013 at 11:54 am

I bought it pre-ground. :)

7 Lea @ Greens & Coffee Beans 03/21/2013 at 10:17 am

These cookies look awesome. I’ve had some buckwheat flour sitting in my cabinet forever that I can’t figure out what to do with. I think cookies will be a great way to fix that problem :)
Lea @ Greens & Coffee Beans´s last blog post ..Spring Break Edition {WIAW}

8 Kimberly 03/22/2013 at 1:48 pm

Looks amazing! And I LOVE your blog’s new look.

9 Lindsay Beeson 03/22/2013 at 3:01 pm

I’m gonna try this, as my first official gluten-free baking attempt.

What role do sweets play in your life? When I’m eating more healthfully, I feel less inclined to eat sweets, but I’ve always wondered how it works for other healthy folks.
Lindsay Beeson´s last blog post ..Day 12: Weekend retreating

10 Sarah 03/22/2013 at 11:50 pm

I just made them and they are so yummy! Mine didn’t flatten out (next time I’d just flatten the balls) but I love them. Question though- how long are they supposed to last? I give the 8 I made 24 hours. And I live alone lol.

11 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 03/23/2013 at 10:09 am

Hey Sarah! Maybe I added a little more water to mine? I didn’t exactly measure but it seemed like 1-2 T. So you could try that or just flatten out. Uh….mine lasted 24 hours. ha! I think they’d be fine for a couple days but they seemed a bit more crumbly the next day. Enjoy!

12 Meg 03/23/2013 at 4:30 pm

Never tried buckwheat flour but you have me intrigued! These look tasty. I looove coconut in things too.

13 Tim 10/24/2013 at 9:59 am

I’m sorry that I need to ask, but what does “T” in this recipe mean?

I have went GF because I’m sensitive to it and have given up dairy for health reasons (the same reason that I want more grains). I find myself craving sweets and this is a great alternative to what is readily available.

14 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 10/24/2013 at 10:07 am