Gluten-Free Buckwheat Coconut Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies

I was craving cookies the other day. Bad. I could either (a) drive to Trader Joe’s to buy their gluten-free Snickerdoodles or (b) make my own cookies. Those TJ Snickerdoodles are reeeeallly good, but on this particular day, I chose to make my own cookies. It was a good decision.
DSC 0046 NEF

Gluten-Free Buckwheat Coconut Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies
Makes 10-12 cookies
  • 1/2 cup + 2 T gluten-free rolled oats
  • 2 T buckwheat flour (despite its name that suggests otherwise, this actually is gluten-free)
  • 1 tsp unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp demerara sugar
  • 2 tbsp chocolate chips
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1-2 tbsp almond milk

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

2. Blend the oats, buckwheat flour, coconut flakes, baking soda, salt and sugars in a food processor (or a blender if you have one that actually, you know, blends. Mine does not. Hold please, while I go throw it away.)

3. Pour into a medium bowl and add the coconut oil and milk and stir until just combined. Squeeze the dough little with your finger and if it seems like it won’t hold together like a good little dough with a little pressing, add 1 more Tablespoon of milk and combine. Stir in the chocolate chips.

4. Using a small ice cream scoop or your hands, shape into balls and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. (Or just put down a Silpat.)

5. Bake for 6 minutes, or just until the edges start to look a slightly crisp. Let cool on the rack for 2-3 minutes until they are firm enough to be removed with a spatula and placed on a cooling sheet.

Note: the buckwheat gives these a really rich, deep flavor, which I love. If it’s too much for you, you can probably just do all oats.

What’s your favorite store-bought cookie?

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance March 20, 2013 at

I love smaller batch healthy cookie recipes. I’m pinning this to try later–thanks!! :)

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate March 20, 2013 at

These look absolutely amazing! And I just so happen to have all the ingredients in my pantry, what a coincidence…these will definitely have to be made the next time I actually have time to turn my oven on.

Katie March 20, 2013 at

Necessity breeds invention…or something like that. This is the perfect because I have all the ingredients on hand. Love it when that happens!

Holly Waterfall March 20, 2013 at

I think these look SOOO good and healthy, in the best of ways! I’ve never tried buckwheat flour, but I’m really interested in it!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run March 21, 2013 at

Oh, yum! Did you grind your own buckwheat flour or purchase some?

Teri [a foodie stays fit] March 22, 2013 at

I bought it pre-ground. :)

Lea @ Greens & Coffee Beans March 21, 2013 at

These cookies look awesome. I’ve had some buckwheat flour sitting in my cabinet forever that I can’t figure out what to do with. I think cookies will be a great way to fix that problem :)

Kimberly March 22, 2013 at

Looks amazing! And I LOVE your blog’s new look.

Lindsay Beeson March 22, 2013 at

I’m gonna try this, as my first official gluten-free baking attempt.

What role do sweets play in your life? When I’m eating more healthfully, I feel less inclined to eat sweets, but I’ve always wondered how it works for other healthy folks.

Sarah March 22, 2013 at

I just made them and they are so yummy! Mine didn’t flatten out (next time I’d just flatten the balls) but I love them. Question though- how long are they supposed to last? I give the 8 I made 24 hours. And I live alone lol.

Teri [a foodie stays fit] March 23, 2013 at

Hey Sarah! Maybe I added a little more water to mine? I didn’t exactly measure but it seemed like 1-2 T. So you could try that or just flatten out. Uh….mine lasted 24 hours. ha! I think they’d be fine for a couple days but they seemed a bit more crumbly the next day. Enjoy!

Meg March 23, 2013 at

Never tried buckwheat flour but you have me intrigued! These look tasty. I looove coconut in things too.

Tim October 24, 2013 at

I’m sorry that I need to ask, but what does “T” in this recipe mean?

I have went GF because I’m sensitive to it and have given up dairy for health reasons (the same reason that I want more grains). I find myself craving sweets and this is a great alternative to what is readily available.

Teri [a foodie stays fit] October 24, 2013 at