- 1/2 cup + 2 T gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 T buckwheat flour (despite its name that suggests otherwise, this actually is gluten-free)
- 1 tsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1-2 tbsp almond milk
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Blend the oats, buckwheat flour, coconut flakes, baking soda, salt and sugars in a food processor (or a blender if you have one that actually, you know, blends. Mine does not. Hold please, while I go throw it away.)
3. Pour into a medium bowl and add the coconut oil and milk and stir until just combined. Squeeze the dough little with your finger and if it seems like it won’t hold together like a good little dough with a little pressing, add 1 more Tablespoon of milk and combine. Stir in the chocolate chips.
4. Using a small ice cream scoop or your hands, shape into balls and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. (Or just put down a Silpat.)
5. Bake for 6 minutes, or just until the edges start to look a slightly crisp. Let cool on the rack for 2-3 minutes until they are firm enough to be removed with a spatula and placed on a cooling sheet.
Note: the buckwheat gives these a really rich, deep flavor, which I love. If it’s too much for you, you can probably just do all oats.
What’s your favorite store-bought cookie?