Matcha Madness

03/27/2013

hi friends! Thanks for the camera tips, and btw, I’ve loved reading about what your state is known for! It made me want to travel and also made me feel a bit smarter, like I took a mini history class. :)

Like I told you, I’m partnering with The Republic of Tea and get to try all sorts of yummy teas and fun tea equipment. (Yes, for free. I’m not compensated in any other way and state my own opinions of the products. Full disclosure done.). This month, they sent me matcha tea. It’s not loose leaf or satchel – it’s a powder. Green tea leaves ground into a powder, to be precise. I’ve heard that matcha is really good for you but didn’t know exactly why. I did a little research and learned that matcha is very high in antioxidants (including one antioxidant that is 137x the amount in other types of green teas),  can speed metabolism, can improve bad breath, and has superfood properties to held reduce stress, lower cholesterol, boost brain health and fight cancer. Sign me up!

DSC 0061

They sent me four flavors of their U-matcha.

• Premium U-Matcha Natural tea contains tender, shade-grown leaves that have been ground to a fine powder creating a rich balance of flavors. This matcha tea is ideal for blending with water for sipping or for cooking.
  • Premium U-Matcha Yuzu tea blends fine matcha powder with yuzu for a citrus flavor. This matcha tea makes a bright addition to mixed drinks, spice rubs and sweet desserts.
  • Premium U-Matcha Ginger tea blends fine matcha powder with ginger. This matcha tea boasts a spicy kick and wakes up the flavors of miso soups, stir-fry and other savory dishes.
  • Premium U-Matcha Roasted Rice tea blends fine matcha powder with roasted rice to create a nutty finish of flavor. This matcha tea provides warm nuances for sweet baked goods, savory dishes, shakes and lattes.

To drink matcha requires a special process. You need a little whisk and 1-2 minutes to prep the tea. Luckily, The Republic of Tea provided me with a whisk and a pretty matcha bowl (thanks guys!). On the weekends, I definitely have 1-2 minutes to spare. During the week, I usually stick with quicker options that just require simple steeping.

DSC 0063

To prepare matcha, boil your water and pour a little into the bowl/cup, swirl around and then dump out. This heats your cup. Then, put in 1/2 t. – 1 t. matcha powder. (I did a double batch.)

DSC 0067

Pour your very hot (but not boiling) water over the tea and whisk for 1-2 minutes. You’ll get a little foam on top. And if you’re like me, you’ll also make a bit of a mess. I had a hard time not spilling. Whoops.

DSC 0071

I loooove this tea. It’s rich and creamy and comforting. I enjoyed it the first time with bacon and blueberry muffins but I also like it just on its own. I also made it into a latte – mixing the powder with 2 T of water and then adding steamed almond milk. Deeelicious.

DSC 0074

I’ve heard/read that matcha is a great seasoning for cooking and baking. There is matcha flavored ice cream, salad dressings, and spice rubs. I can’t wait to experiment more!  I’ve liked them all the flavors but the rice matcha has a pretty strong earthy flavor so if that’s not your style, you might want to try the others. The ginger and yuzu (citrusy) were pretty mild all around, both from a tea flavor and a ginger/citrus flavor.

And lucky you, The Republic of Tea is offering my readers an free electric matcha frother (ooooh so fancy! electric!) with any order of with any order of U-Matcha Tea from The Republic of Tea with Promo Code #MATCHA8 before March 29, 2013. They also have lots of fun matcha tools…I want the bamboo spoon and all the pretty matcha bowls. :)

Are you into March Madness? Or is matcha madness more your style? :) I don’t really get into the games. I might watch one here and there but don’t go out of my way. And I’ve long given up on brackets.

1 Maria 03/27/2013 at 7:18 pm

Hi. It’s the tea obsessed commenter again :)

I’ve tried green tea matcha before but it came in tea bags and I found it to be so delicious and completely refreshing…almost like an instant detox. I think the brand was Republic of Tea, but not sure. Anyway, I didn’t know there was another way of drinking/making it, so I’m intrigued.

My husband and I found matcha flavored mochi in NYC and were completely blow away.
Maria´s last blog post ..What I Ate Wednesday

2 Meg @ A Dash of Meg 03/27/2013 at 7:37 pm

Wow girl, do you know how much I love tea? I totally want the opportunity to try these teas, too! I am so pumped that you’re a tea lover, too :) Oh my <3 I should send you a love package with some of my favs!

3 BroccoliHut 03/27/2013 at 7:39 pm

Cool! I don’t think I’ve ever had matcha, but that handy-dandy whisk and bowl is definitely something I could get into.
I’ve just been watching the Duke basketball games. I was a hard-core Cameron Crazie when I was a student, so old habits die hard.
BroccoliHut´s last blog post ..Caroline Goes Shopping, Part II

4 Ashley 03/27/2013 at 10:30 pm

I have a green matcha doughnut in the book that is pretttty fantastic. :) How fun that you get to play around and taste all of this tea! I had NO idea there were accessories for matcha….love!
Ashley´s last blog post ..Cauliflower Chickpea Puree

5 Trisha 03/27/2013 at 11:02 pm

I remember the exact moment I first sipped a Starbucks Green Tea Latte (they use matcha as the base) and it was quite divine. I’ve heard their matcha isn’t exactly “pure”, but it is purely delicious and got me hooked so I’ll order matcha just about any time I see it on a menu.
I know nothing about basketball, but I do usually fill out a bracket so I can feel like I’m a part of the madness. I don’t really watch the games either, but I usually end up doing pretty well on my bracket!
Trisha´s last blog post ..Pretty Productive

6 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health 03/27/2013 at 11:55 pm

I am not really into basketball but I love matcha tea! I tried it in a green tea smoothie about 7 years ago (makes me feel old) and it was so good! I bought some matcha powder and make green tea yogurt smoothies at home. Love it!
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health´s last blog post ..White Bean, Red Pepper and Tomato Soup with Ricotta Dumplings

7 Emily G. 03/28/2013 at 8:00 am

This looks yummy- I’m definitely going to have to try it! Here in KY March Madness is usually HUGE but since UK was pretty horrible this year no one seems to care- I could live without it :) March usually makes me excited about Keeneland and horse racing in April!

8 sarah + sebastian 03/31/2013 at 7:38 am

That tea looks awesome. I have been wanting to make green tea ice cream someday so I may need to get some of that matcha powder! We had R, S, R + K over for dinner last night and they told me how great you are doing (and how fast you are running, which I already knew!) :) Let me know if there’s ever a Thursday when you might be free for a quick lunch downtown… or maybe Sunday AM coffee date? xo

9 Amanda 04/01/2013 at 12:18 am

This looks like a fantastic tea. I tried to buy it and use the promo code for the brother but it says the code does not exist? I would like a frothy Match almond milk latte in my near future!

10 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 04/01/2013 at 11:11 am

Hi amanda! I’m so sorry – the promo code was good only until 3/29. I should have added that to the post (and will do so now). I think they’ll probably have another promo code for my readers in the future, so stay tuned! Again, so sorry!

11 elise 04/02/2013 at 11:14 am

matcha green tea smoothie is my husbands fave from jamba juice. he thinks hes soooo healthy when he has it, ha.
a matcha rub sounds interesting!
i had ohio state winning my bracket. wah wah.

12 Maria 04/07/2013 at 4:24 pm

I’m so glad I found your blog! I’m coming to winston-salem for an internship and I’m glad that you have a list of awesomeness.

Also, I’m pretty sure I need that tea in my life.