The Great “Great Gatsby” Party

03/19/2013

Last Saturday, after running (and winning my age group!) at the St. Leo’s 10K race, I had a birthday party to look forward to. A surprise 1920s/Great Gatsby-themed 30th birthday party for my friend Liz! I had ordered a dress online that was perfect but come party-day, it hadn’t arrived. I rushed over to Forever 21 and hit their sale rack to find something with sequins. I figured with a sparkly dress, a headband and long pearls, I could pull off a flapper look. Then just 3.5 hours before the party, my dress arrived! Wahoo!

I did my hair & make-up. The dark eye make-up turned out pretty well!  My date said “Wow…I don’t think I’ve ever seen you with so much eye make-up!” ha! I don’t think I’ve ever seen myself with that much eye make-up either but I kiiiinda liked it.

But the hair was more Farrah Fawcett, less flapper. See? Farrah.

Farrah fawcett young beautiful12source

I got a bit rushed for time so even though I’d googled 1920s hairstyles I couldn’t pull it off! So, I just tucked it up and pinned it under to create a bob-ish look, threw the headband on, drew on red lipstick, and voila, I instantly felt like I belonged in The Great Gatsby. [The white mark on my cheek is a dirty mirror, not a poorly applied beauty mark. :)]

The party was held in the VIP room at Tate’s.

I felt so fancy up there looking down on my minions the crowd.

Helloooo Spock ear. That’ll teach me to feel high & mighty in the loft private room.

Gg

The girls looked pretty great as a group!

Girls

The men lacked our creativity. ;)

The signs cracked me up. Fortunately, I don’t think we had any pickpockets or loose women on the run.

Db me

Happy Birthday Liz!

Liz

1 Stephanie @ Legally Blinde 03/19/2013 at 10:37 pm

You look stunning!! What a great outfit! And I love what you did with your hair. Beautiful!
Stephanie @ Legally Blinde´s last blog post ..Veggie Bake

2 janetha 03/19/2013 at 11:45 pm

Oh my gosh–how FUN! You looked amazing!
janetha´s last blog post ..twosie tuesday.

3 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance 03/20/2013 at 4:25 am

I LOVE the outfit–what a fantastic theme!!
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance´s last blog post ..Strengthening and Stretching for Runners

4 Mrs Type A 03/20/2013 at 7:51 am

You look gorgeous! I am DYING to host a great gatsby party.
Mrs Type A´s last blog post ..St. Paddy’s Snapshots

5 Anna 03/20/2013 at 8:46 am

I love your dress, Teri! Where’d you find it? I’m SO excited about this 20s trend. (Thanks, Gatsby movie!)
Anna´s last blog post ..Fulton Gets Better Manners (We Hope!) — A Trip To Doggie Boot Camp

6 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 03/22/2013 at 11:58 am

I bought the dress on amazon :)

7 Emily G. 03/20/2013 at 8:50 am

You look beautiful! What a fun party theme!

8 Betsy @ A Dancer In The Kitchen 03/20/2013 at 9:53 am

Spock ear, too funny! What a fantastic idea for a 30th bday party! I turn 30 in a couple months and cannot believe it yet!
Betsy @ A Dancer In The Kitchen´s last blog post ..High Hand Conservatory Cafe and Wine Tasting in Loomis, CA

9 Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run 03/20/2013 at 10:15 am

I spy a new Ellie tank – isn’t in fabulous!?

You’re stunning, lady. Love the costume :)
Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run´s last blog post ..Tuesday Tidbits | 3.19.13

10 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 03/22/2013 at 12:03 pm

yes i love it!!

11 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs 03/20/2013 at 5:08 pm

Looks like such a fun party! Love your outfit!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs´s last blog post ..First Day of Spring…

12 BroccoliHut 03/20/2013 at 7:08 pm

I love the idea of a Great Gatsby party! Truth be told, I’ve read the book four times now–clearly, it’s one of my faves!
Your dress is gorgeous!
BroccoliHut´s last blog post ..The Breakfast Equation

13 Trisha 03/21/2013 at 8:32 pm

This is my dream party!! I LOVE the idea of a Gatsby theme and I simply cannot wait for the new Gatsby movie to come out. I think I may just have to throw a party like this on opening night. ;)
You looked fab!

14 Meg 03/23/2013 at 4:33 pm

Gorgeous! Bet you got to use some of the fun colors on the Naked palette! You do a smoky eye well. Party looked fun (happy birthday Liz!) and I hated to miss it!
Meg´s last blog post ..Greek Yogurt Based Ranch Dressing & Café Rio Creamy Tomatillo Dressing

15 Christina Fields 03/23/2013 at 5:43 pm

LOVE the outfit!! You looked fab!
(Also loved the curled look before you pinned it up. Don’t forget – Farrah Fawcett was a total babe)

Your friend is a lucky girl being surrounded by such fun and thoughtful gals!