Get Out & Walk (or Run) Your Pooch!

10/16/2013

Meet Maizey. Psssh, what am I talking about? You guys know her. She’s all over this blog.

Pupgirl came into my life 5 years ago. (Literally! Tomorrow is her 5th birthday.) I had moved to NC from Utah, far from friends and family, and thought getting a pup would be comforting company. I wanted a short-haired, medium-sized dog that could run with me and was fun and sweet. The boxer breed fit the bill! But I had no idea how hilarious they are with all their humanlike qualities before I got her! I’d never been around boxers much before.

I went to pick her out of the litter and she was the only brindle female. I knew I wanted a female but thought I wanted a flashy fawn or flashy brindle (flashy means white on the face).

But she stole my heart. gahhhh look at how little she is!!!!

Over the years, she has brought me more happiness than I can express. Of course, she has had her stinker moments (still does), but I know without fail, that when I’m sad or stressed or lonely, seeing her sweet face will cheer me up. She even senses when I’m in pain, emotionally or physically, and will come rest her head on my lap. Or, just sit in my lap.

I’m so so grateful for Maizey. She is very protective of me and our house; that girl has my back. She’ll pop up out of a hard sleep if she hears anything outside. Good girl. :)

She’s one of my best pals.

So when I was invited to help promote the Purina® Pro Plan®’s MapMyFitness challenge and write a blog about Maizey, I didn’t hesitate. And not only because I wanted to share copious amounts of photos of her. :) The challenge encourages dog owners to get out and walk or run with their pup(s). I’ve been laid up after my fall and haven’t been able to walk her as much as usual, but normally I look forward to our daily walks. They relax me and make me feel like I’m a good dog mom, which is really important to me. And they make Maizey happy.

The Purina® Pro Plan® Leash On challenge started on September 30th and runs through November 13th!  Every day you log a walk and/or run with your pup, you’ll be entered to win sweet prizes. If you log walks and/or runs for a consecutive 30 day period, you’ll be entered for a chance to win a year’s supply of Purina® Pro Plan® Dog Food.

Purina® ProPlan® has partnered with MapMyFitness and created the Purina® ProPlan® Fitness Group Page to get pet owner’s more active with their dogs.  Check out the Fitness Group page here and start getting active with your dog today!

How do you stay active with your dog?

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Purina® ProPlan® . The opinions and text are all mine. Comments submitted may be displayed on other websites owned by the sponsoring brand.

Thanks for supporting the occasional sponsored post so I can keep blogging. Contrary to popular belief, blogging ain’t free!

1 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs 10/16/2013 at 6:57 am

I have a mini dachshund, so those little legs aren’t the best for running — but we love our long walks! They’re the best!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs´s last blog post ..Second Day Soup Pot Pies

2 Jessi 10/16/2013 at 8:18 am

I have a greyhound- just got him this summer. We take him for a 30 minute walk every morning before work– like you said it makes me feel like a good dog mom (because I know he will be alone while I’m at work) but also, I know he just loves it!! When I touch his leash his tail starts wagging– he loves going out to meet other people, other dogs and of course, peeing on everything.

3 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 10/23/2013 at 9:32 am

hahahah this cracked me up. “Peeing on everything.”

4 Amanda @ The Engineering Foodie 10/16/2013 at 12:07 pm

I have a border collie that comes out to the barn with me every day! He also accompanies me on my daily runs and plays frisbee with my boyfriend. But his (and our) absolute favorite activity is going for hikes on weekends :) Dogs are the best!

5 Lisa 10/16/2013 at 1:42 pm

awww, Maizey is adorable! I have a Shih Tzu who I love with all my heart.
Lisa´s last blog post ..Say it ain’t so!

6 BroccoliHut 10/16/2013 at 8:36 pm

We walk our dogs daily–it’s a great way to catch up on each other’s days and get a little evening activity. I’ve even swum with Margot, although she’s not a big fan…yet.
BroccoliHut´s last blog post ..Notes from the Intern: Neurology and Neurosurgery

7 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 10/23/2013 at 9:31 am

i love evening walks with Maizey and John to catch up. It’s my favorite part of the day!

Maizey hates swimming too. She can empathize with Margot.

8 Paula Saardchit 10/17/2013 at 3:31 pm

Oh my gosh. Maizley is so adorable! No wonder you’re head over heels in love with her. What a great companion she is! I have a small 7 pound Maltipoo named Ruby who goes everywhere with me too (also in the car). I don’t know what I’d do without her. Dogs are the absolute best aren’t they?
Paula Saardchit´s last blog post ..Success Leaves Clues

9 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 10/23/2013 at 9:32 am

They ARE the absolute best! And thanks, I think Maizey is adorable too. :)

10 Amber 10/17/2013 at 8:16 pm

Maizey is so cute! I also have a female brindle boxer, Chloe, and she is a highlight of my life. Boxers are such funny funny pups!

This summer I was running Chloe LOTS while ultra training. She was running upwards of 30 miles a week with me in the trails! Since I’ve tapered off of training she usually gets 2 – 3 runs a week with me and the other days I take her for a walk ranging from 20 minutes to an hour. I agree it makes me feel like a good dog mom when I walk her and she just loves her walks so so much!

11 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 10/17/2013 at 8:34 pm

Chloe is so pretty! I’ve showed pictures of her (I follow you on Instagram) to my boyfriend because I think she’s so cute. :)

That is SO impressive that she can run that much! Maizey’s longest run was two years ago – 9 miles. Now she struggles with 2 miles. I need to get her back in running shape! She hurt her hip and couldn’t run for a while. But it’s hard because she can’t run as fast as I can for the distance anymore. When I took her on longer runs a couple years ago, I ran slower. I need to schedule some slower runs during the week just for Maizey and eventually build her speed and distance!