Justifying a Juicer

12/10/2013

I’ve been debating for a while about buying a masticating juicer. From what I’ve read, those are the best types of juicers because they extract the most juice from all types of fruits and veggies. John has a juicer that we use often, but when we put leafy greens in it – kale, spinach, etc. – nothing comes out. Like, seriously, nothing. And I want those green nutrients!

Winston-Salem doesn’t have any juice bars to buy fresh juice. (Well, except for a poorly named place called The Juice Bar that does not make or sell juice, only smoothies that are made with sherbet and crap.) There are juice options to buy at Whole Foods – like the Blue Print Cleanse juices – but they are pricey!

When doing the Conscious Cleanse I learned that juicing gets nutrients into your system faster than smoothies. I love my green smoothies but sometimes I get sick of the texture of smoothies so juice would be a nice alternative…as long as I can get my greens in it!

This info graphic was sent to me the other day and I really liked the section about the benefits of juicing at home, the cost savings, and the fact that you can store juice for up to a week. Soooo that kind of helps me justify it. :) What I think what I might do is set aside some money each month towards a juicer until I have enough to buy one. (You know I love my budgeting!)

What are your thoughts on juicing at home? Do you do it? What type of juicer do you have?

The Benefits of Home Juicing Infographic by Macy’s.  I was invited to this opportunity by Blue Polo Interactive and received a Macy’s gift card for my time. All opinions expressed in this post are my own. I really am considering buying a masticating juicer. Unless one of you would like to buy one for me. :D

1 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs 12/10/2013 at 10:14 pm

Interesting! I don’t have a juicer, but I’m intrigued to read what other people have to say about their juicers!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs´s last blog post ..Tuesdays Are Better Than Mondays

2 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun 12/10/2013 at 10:54 pm

I have a juicer but sadly I haven’t used it like I should. I really would love to learn about juicing and all that comes from it! Hopefully once of these days I will figure it out and get on the juicing train!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun´s last blog post ..Go To Kitchen Seasoning and Giveaway Winner!

3 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate 12/11/2013 at 1:52 am

I would definitely splurge and go for the masticating juicer, I didn’t really think it through and just bought a centrifugal one and now I wish I had waited. Seriously, 10 pounds of spinach gives me a teaspoon of juice. Sigh.
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate´s last blog post ..Link Love: Body, Mind, and Soul Food

4 Mrs Type A 12/11/2013 at 10:05 am

I recently did a juice cleanse involving 6 juices after a weekend of overindulging and felt amazing afterwards. It is SO expensive though. I would consider getting a juicer, but I’m not sure if I’d use it enough for it to actually be cheaper than buying juice.
Mrs Type A´s last blog post ..Fitbit Flex Review

5 Michelle 12/11/2013 at 10:10 am

We have a masticating juicer at home (I believe it’s the Omega 8006) and have been using it every weekday for almost a year. I really love the model, it’s really easy to clean and juices incredibly well, however i wish we hadn’t gotten a masticating juicer and instead had bought a vitamix. In the beginning we’d use the leftover pulp and incorporate it into pastas, breads, etc, but that’s not entirely feasible if you’re using any type of citrus in your juices (we love juicing with greens, but we’ll also add grapefruit or orange or ginger to give it a kick). Now we end up just throwing away the pulp because we can’t find any uses for it, and don’t live in an area where we can compost it. I guess personally I’d rather just be eating that pulp in the form of a thicker smoothie-like juice that came from something like a vitamix. One positive thing I’ll say about juicing though— my skin has never been clearer, and I feel like my immune system is in top shape!

6 Alex 12/11/2013 at 10:58 am

I have a juicer on my Christmas list after buying them a lot at Whole Foods. There is a local company in Cville that is expanded in Whole Foods throughout the mid-Atlantic called LUMI. The juice is awesome and has a great price point ($6.99). Its not be sold as a part of juice cleanse and has a lot less sugar than other brands. Definitely worth buying if you see it!

7 Kat 12/11/2013 at 12:03 pm

I don’t understand the point of a juicer. Why not just eat the fruit and vegetables?

8 Meg 12/13/2013 at 3:52 pm

I just bought one a few weeks ago (on eBay for a fabulous deal – lots of people selling them “used, but only once or twice.” Ha!!). I felt like the commenter Kat above for a long time – why not just eat the darn things instead of juicing them – but then I realized, even on a great day, I still only got 1/2-2/3rds of the recommended amount. I’m still trying to figure out some good combinations…. and I love this infographic! Thanks for posting it!
Meg´s last blog post ..Trader Joe’s Secco (Cranberry)

9 Chatelaine 12/11/2013 at 6:22 pm

I have a Breville Juice Fountain Multi Speed and I love it. I have been thinking about upgrading to an Omega model but haven’t been able to justify the cost just yet. I use it every single day and love how I feel. I put a whole head of romaine lettuce, 2-3 stalks of celery, 5-6 stalks of kale, ginger, an apple and a lemon in it every day and I could not imagine eating all those for breakfast just to get the same nutrients. I do get some juice out of kale but not a lot. I get lots of juice from romaine lettuce and celery. If the Omega is easy to clean then I might get it sometime in 2014. I know you’ll spend more time cutting up veggies as I only have to rinse and shove in this Breville so I’ll want to save time on the cleaning. The Breville gets tedious.

10 Jordan Lynn // Life Between Lattes 12/12/2013 at 12:18 am

I love juicing! As a person who eats a lot of fruits and vegetables, I actually finding that eating less fiber keep my stomach happier. My parents have the Breville Compact Juicer. It is great for a cheap juicer, but it takes a long time to clean, and I probably wouldn’t buy it again and would at least upgrade to the two-speed juicing fountains. Also, I have a friend that has an Omega juicer, and there is a lot more prep work involved, but the clean up is a lot easier. I’ve also heard (I’m not certain) that masticating juicers preserve nutrients longer if you wanted to make juice ahead of time.

But, I am totally on board the juicing train. And when I’m drinking juice religiously, my skin looks so good (not to be obnoxious), but it makes a huge difference. Overall, I think a juicer is totally worth the $$ if you are going to use it.
Jordan Lynn // Life Between Lattes´s last blog post ..Soup for the Soul

11 Lindsay 12/12/2013 at 10:44 am

Have you tried a nutmilk bag? I usually use my Vitamix to blend and then pour the contents through a nutmilk bag ($12-$20 on Amazon) and it extracts the juice, but leaves the pulp in the bag. Might be worth a try before the splurge.

12 Lauren S 12/12/2013 at 12:51 pm

I have an omega juicer that I like. It is easy to clean, the only downside is everything has to be cut up to fit into the tube. They have a new model out with a wider opening that looks like it would be easier for prep. We would use the pulp for baked goods or mix it into the dogs food so he would get some extra nutrients too.

13 Brynn 12/14/2013 at 4:22 pm

I made my big investment in a Vitamix. It is not a juicer, but gets the job done. To get rid of any pulp, I simply pour the mixture through a strainer. And I adore my Vitamix – I use it for everything!
Brynn´s last blog post ..Friday Round-up {12/13}

14 Gail Carson 12/16/2013 at 8:02 am

Zumoval juicer. REALLY expensive. But none finer.

15 Tara 12/20/2013 at 9:10 pm

very nice

16 Aki 12/23/2013 at 9:28 pm

I’m getting a juicer for Christmas, up until now I’ve been using the my nutri billet. I love how easy it is to get so many nutrients even you replace one meal like breakfast or lunch with a juice you are doing your body a world of good.
Aki´s last blog post ..Finding the best juicers on the market with a little help from YouTube