Last-Minute Gift Guide (that will still make you look thoughtful)

12/19/2013

So, let’s say you procrastinated your Christmas shopping a little this year. It’s not your fault. Thanksgiving was so late in the month that you didn’t realize how little time there was between the two holidays. Problem is, you still have get some gifts but you don’t want to look like the jerk who just picked up a gift card. (Dear brother whose name I drew for Christmas – please ignore the previous sentence. I’m probably getting you a gift card.)

No problem: Below are 5 gifts that you can buy locally or are the type of gift you can buy at the last minute and no one will know. Happy shopping! (But get on it people!)

1. For the Coffee Lover: Fancy coffee beans

Give a Starbucks gift card, and it looks like you forget to get a gift. Give a bag of small batch roasted whole coffee beans, and you look pretty thoughtful. (And like you have good taste.)

Douglas Coffee Roasters is my current favorite coffee (maybe even more than my beloved local Krankies!), but I think it’s too late to order their coffee to arrive in time for Christmas. (They’re re-doing their site.) So, find a great local coffee roaster in your area and give the gift of fancy java.

If you don’t have a local roaster, you could buy a travel coffee mug – one can never have too many! – and include a note that they’ll be receiving some fancy beans in the mail in short order. They’ll get excited to anticipate another gift! :) If you wait until this weekend to shop, you’ll be able to order Douglas Coffee Roasters online; their site should be back up  - www.douglascoffeeroasters.com. (No, I’m not getting a kickback. I just love their coffee that much.)

2. For the Athlete: Nice Workout Socks

8580 2632 Enduro 2 Quarter Sky process sx250 q90 t1372937084

Ask any workout junkie: we all hate buying workout socks. We know we should invest in them, we know there are great ones out there, but we hate buying them and rarely do. We all have like, two pairs, if that, and just wash them a lot (ahem, or don’t). Get a pile of nice workout socks, tie it up with ribbon with a GU on top for a little special touch, and we’ll love ya.

If you’re buying for a Vibrams FiveFinger runner, get the Injiji brand. Otherwise, check with your local running store for recommendations. If you’re shopping online (cough, overnight shipping is expensive), look for SmartWool and Balega; they’re both good brands.

3. For the Gluten-Free Foodie: Living Without Subscription

I love this magazine. It has great recipes, good articles about people living with dietary restrictions, and recent research on food allergies. Buy them a hard copy at your local Whole Foods with a note that they’ll be getting their next issue as part of the subscription you gifted them.

Living Without Cover
(Note: that is an affiliate link but I really do love this magazine.)

4. For the Metro Man: Birchbox for Men subscription

Birchbox isn’t just for the ladies. For the man who cares about his appearance (and maybe more than he’d like to admit), get the Birchbox for Men subscription. He’ll get fancy lotions and shave stuff and other manly (well-groomed) man stuff. If this is for your significant other, it’s kind of a gift for you too. ;)

MenSub 239x358,

5. For the girly girl: A few of your favorite beauty things

I don’t know any girly-girl who doesn’t love experimented with new make-up, hair products and nail polish. So, round up your favorite beauty items – think mascara, eyeliner, lipgloss, nail polish – and tuck them into a cute little basket with a note that these are some of your favorite things for one of your favorite gals. My favorite things would include OPI You Don’t Know Jacques, Burts Bee’s Peppermint Foot Lotion, lavender epsom salts, and, if I was gonna splurge on my friend, this Boscia eye treatment.

41NTcEwMFWL SY300

What last-minute gift ideas do you have? Let’s help each other out! I’m all done except for 2 things, but I do know what I’m getting…I think. :)

1 RLR 12/19/2013 at 9:25 pm

SmartWool socks were on my list! I have one pair (and several pairs of Feetures), and I am amazed that I can wear them year-round. Wool! Who knew?

2 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/22/2013 at 9:00 am

They are AWESOME. I wish I still had some!

3 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs 12/19/2013 at 9:26 pm

Great ideas!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs´s last blog post ..Our (Ottawa) Christmas!

4 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun 12/19/2013 at 10:16 pm

Great ideas! I am thankfully ALMOST done with shopping FINALLY!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun´s last blog post ..Cake Mix Cookie Bars

5 Livi 12/20/2013 at 10:10 pm

that opi nail polish is gorgeous– such a perfect winter color!
Livi´s last blog post ..what finals look like.

6 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/22/2013 at 9:01 am

it’s one of my favorites!

7 Christine Whittington 12/21/2013 at 2:53 pm

The nice workout socks are such a great idea! Training for my first [walking] half-marathon, I realized at my first 11-miler why people wear blister-preventing socks. The entire bottom of my right food was one big blister and it set back my training schedule by about 2 weeks. I was wearing cotton athletic socks and had never considered using anything else. I went to Off’n’Running in Greensboro and have been an athletic sock junkie ever since.

Another great give I can suggest are running gloves that can be used with iPod or iPhone–Tec Touch is one, but there are lots of others.

Also, lights or vests for or walking at night, including lights for dogs.

8 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/22/2013 at 9:05 am

Ooh yikes! Cotton socks would be a disaster, but I think you make a good point that people just don’t think about it!

Yes, running gloves are a great idea – they’re on my wish list! I also had tech gloves on my wishlist – never thought to get running gloves that are tech gloves too. Brilliant! :)

I should get Maizey a light. :)

Merry Christmas!

9 Christine Whittington 12/26/2013 at 6:48 pm

Santa brought tech running gloves and they were fantastic walking in the nippy weather tonight. They actually work better with the smart phone than bare fingers! They are Head women’s tech running gloves and, BTW, Santa shops at Costco.

10 Christine Whittington 12/26/2013 at 6:49 pm

The first comment above was “right foot” not “right food,” ha. Not that I haven’t had blistered food!

11 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/29/2013 at 6:05 pm

My mom got those same gloves from my brother for Christmas! At Costco! :) I always forget Costo carries things like that.

12 Kelly 12/22/2013 at 8:45 pm

Hi, Teri!

So I have a Christmas dilemma that I’m hoping you can help me with! My husband and I are newlyweds, so this is our first Christmas together. One of his traditions growing up was making (and eating!) homemade cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning. However, 3/5 of my family are gluten free, and we are spending Christmas with them this year.

I was just wondering if you had any tried and true GF cinnamon roll recipes?

Thanks so much!
Kelly
Kelly´s last blog post ..On A [Christmas Card] Year in Review.

13 Teri [a foodie stays fit] 12/23/2013 at 3:48 pm

hey Kelly! I’ve never made GF cinnamon rolls but I sent out a call for help on Twitter and two people recommended these. http://tasty-yummies.com/2013/12/04/gluten-free-cinnamon-rolls-with-dairy-free-options/

They certainly LOOK tasty. May be worth a try! If you try them, let me know! :)

14 Kia 01/05/2014 at 9:54 am

This is a great list, I really wish some people would have read this for me. I would have loved runners socks (they are so expensive I hate to buy them) and I love nail polish. People don’t think of the little things these days when shopping