10 Reasons I Love Being a Runner

I didn’t sleep well last night (i.e. hardly at all), so around 3 AM I changed my alarm from 5 AM to 7 AM, deciding to skip my run and get some extra sleep. When I woke up and saw the barrage of instagram and Twitter posts (and more PR emails) reminding me that it was National Running Day I felt like the kid who forgot to wear pajamas on Pajama Day. So, since I don’t have a lovely morning run to blog about (and it would have been lovely – it’s beautiful out this morning), I thought I would list 10 things I love about being a runner.

10 Reasons Why I Love Being a Runner jpg

10. That it allows me to eat more. I’m very petite (5’1″) and put on weight very easily. I also love food. Running helps me enjoy more food more often. :)

9. The way it helps me think through problems.

8. The way it helps me think about  nothing at all.

7. The way I feel after a REALLY GREAT run. And even better is the feeling after a REALLY GREAT run that you almost skipped.

6. Experiencing and appreciating mornings. I love morning time–hands down my favorite time of day. I used to be an evening runner and have transitioned to an AM runner since moving to Winston-Salem nearly 6 years ago, and I love running in the mornings, particularly outside. (Well, unless it’s freezing cold!) I love the quiet. I love the morning light. I love starting my day with fresh air. I love the peace that mornings bring, and I wouldn’t experience that nearly as much if it weren’t for running.

5. Pushing my body past its limits and learning what it’s capable of. I never ever thought I’d run a half marathon below 1:55, so I still get giddy thinking about my current PR (1:34). I never thought my body could move to the tune of a 6 minutes pace and I did track repeats yesterday in the low 5s. The body is an amazing thing and capable of so much.

4. Seeing other’s accomplishments. I love running races with friends and loved ones and even strangers and seeing their faces after a race. (Well, damn, I didn’t realize I loved it that much, but I’m getting teary picturing my mom finishing her first marathon and my besties beating goals at the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler.) Whether you call yourself “fast” or “slow” or a “mid-packer” you got out there and pushed yourself. And there is something so awesome about that.

3. All the friends and acquaintances I’ve made through running. Seriously, nearly all of my friends in Winston-Salem have been made through running. And it’s an instant bonder, “Oh you’re a runner? Me too!”

2. The friendships that have grown closer as a result of running together. Some of my very best friendships were formed over runs. There’s something hard to describe about running friendships…but for me, I become a bit more vulnerable and open and talk about things I normally wouldn’t talk about. Also, I can be awkward at making conversation but you get me on a run and I’ll chat it up.

1. The fact that I’m still a runner even on days I don’t run. :)

What do you love about being a runner?

1 Chicago Jogger at

I love this list – happy National Running Day :) I love the sense of accomplishment I get from running. Even if it’s just a run with a few seconds faster pace than normal. I know exactly what you mean about feeling great after a great run!

2 Teri [a foodie stays fit] at

I agree – the sense of accomplishment, even for tiny improvements in pace, is huge!

3 Jessi at

Great list! I really love having that time to catch up with friends on social runs. And so much better for us than the usual talking over dinner or a beer!

4 Teri [a foodie stays fit] at

AMEN! But the best is a run followed by a beer. ;)

5 Livi at

The strong feeling when you finish, the de-stressing!
Livi´s last blog post ..WIAW- intuitive eating & intuitive exercise.

6 Joanna at

My friend and I also skipped our morning run since it was pouring here in Boston only to find out it’s National Runners Day an hour ago. Ha!

7 Teri [a foodie stays fit] at

Glad it wasn’t just me! Happy National Running Day regardless! :) Part of running is rest, right? :)

8 Amanda - RunToTheFinish at

Yup the way it makes me feel for sure!!! I think because it wasn’t and isn’t particularly easy for me I feel very accomplished every day!
Amanda – RunToTheFinish´s last blog post ..5 Essential Oils to improve athletic performance

9 Teri [a foodie stays fit] at

I feel the same way. I’m not naturally fast and it doesn’t always feel effortless. I put in a lot of time and hard work to make improvements!

10 Polly @ Tasty Food Project at

I didn’t know you were 5’1″! That’s how tall I am too so I can totally relate about the easy weight gain. I love running because it helps me clear my mind!
Polly @ Tasty Food Project´s last blog post ..No Mayo Tuna Salad

11 Teri [a foodie stays fit] at

Yep! Shorty here! And seriously, it’s so unfair being short; we get like half the calorie burn of taller people! :) (But I really do love being short.)

12 Sarah @pickyrunner at

These are great! I liked the one about how you’re still a runner even when you don’t run- I’m trying to take it easy this week in fear of an injury and even though I’m not running today, I know I’m still a runner :)
Sarah @pickyrunner´s last blog post ..Beyond the Blog

13 Teri [a foodie stays fit] at

Ugh so sorry about your injury. Get well soon!

14 Eva at

i really love this post :’) it made me smile inside

15 Teri [a foodie stays fit] at

aw yay!

16 Hksedwick at

It is like you took the words right out of my head. I wanted to answer your question on my favorite part about running, but then I had such an internal debate about a “favorite” that I almost felt like I needed to go for a run just to sort it all out and come up with an answer. Mostly it is ditto to everything you said, but also that my husband and family all know that if I am getting cranky sending me out for a run will usually help fix it.

17 Melissa C at

I love this post! Especially #1!

18 ellie @ fit for the soul at

I totally agree on the way that running helps us think deeply, and sometimes about nothing at all….so strange how that works, really. And I’m really hoping I’ll make friendships through fitness more from now on. I do have that in the blogworld, but haven’t been able to meet people who think like me (in person).
ellie @ fit for the soul´s last blog post ..12 Months and Dohl Preparations